• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice for weight lifting routine

mecalder

My uncle and I train in karate and are looking for a good weight lifting routine. We train 4 days a week using day 1 chest/biceps, day 2 back/triceps day 3 shoulders/traps day 4 legs. I do abs and cardio at home. We have been lifting for 6 years, using a bodybuilding style. Lately we've been looking for a routine that will benefit as many aspects of karate as we can improve through weight lifting. We train in the morning, doing 1 hour of heavy explosive lifting, with slow controlled negatives. Then we practice katas, fighting form, and body toughening for 30 minutes after that. We intend to continue practicing for the 30 minutes after, but I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what our weight training routine should look like?

Thanks,

mecalder

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Also, I think I should add in, for equipment, we train in his garage. We have enough free weights to put 565 pounds on his barbell, and we have enough to put 100 on each dumbbell. We have a bench that can go incline flat and decline, and a cable machine. We also have extensions for preacher curls, leg curls, and leg extensions, and a self crafted calf raise machine and makiwara. We don't have a leg press machine.

Here is mine: :)

Monday- Chest Bench and Dumbells, more dumbell though..

Tuesday- Bis Barbell curl, dumbell curl, preacher curl, cable curl

Wed- abs, legs crunch, crunch machine, leg press and cav raise

Thursday - Tris Skull crusher, tricep pulldown.. dumbell skull crushers

Friday - Back deadlift, barbell row, dumbell row

Off sat and sunday..

it has worked for years for me, I swith it up every couple of months though.. Hope this helps..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

The best thing for you guys would be light weight training , to get more speed in them legs and arms.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

The best thing for you guys would be light weight training , to get more speed in them legs and arms.

thats good advice, but I dont go over 8 or 9 reps.. I work out for hypertrophy only.. :) but dont worry, it isnt like I am going to get slower... I couldnt get too big if I tried... :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Speed can be incorporated in heavy training also though. (Power Lifters)

I agree. Power lifting recruits more muslce fibers, and helps to develop power, and this can be used to help build speed and explosiveness as well.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to shamelessly plug the fitness program I use. Check out crossfit.com

It's a pretty good site that encorprotes olympic lifing, cardio, and bodyweight trining to acheive results. They are pretty fanatical so take the gnashing of teeth with a grain of salt but the program is solid. It's contiunally changeing up to shock the body. If you've already seen it I apoligive for trying to send you there. If you haven't check it out.

It's not real mass based and focuses on functional strenght, which we as MA'ers need more than a bench. That being said, I ususally spend two to three days a week doing a short bodybuilding style workout as well. It's set up for five days a week of work. You might like it.