• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hip Flexors!

osuperu

An injury post made me want to post about Hip Flexors...

I've always had extremely tight and inflexible hip flexors. i dont know how many times i've strained them, and one time i ended up pulling my right illiopsoas which was awful...

My question is first:

What are conditioning exercises that compliment and help this area, like leg lifts calistenics? Crunches? Running?? -I've heard of some exercises actually being bad for you in that you never get full motion there, e.g. swimming.

Second:

Of course stretches, what are more stretches for the hip flexors (besides the kneeling hip flex stretch)?

Third:

Why are my hips so inflexible? HAHA... when sitting indian stlye its uncomfortable, i dont like crossing my leg when sitting on a chair because it stress my hip flexors....etc etc

Is this inflexibility due to how my legs are attached to my hips? My bro has larger foot angle outward and slight bowleg then walking and hes super flexible in his hips, whereas i am slightly pigeon toed ( i was a fast sprinter in high school!) and my flexibility there is pathetic?

Or does it have to do with sitting on a couch for many hours typing/reading KF posts??? :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any time you have a "tightness" in a certain area it's always good to take a look at the strength of the antagonist muscle group. In this case that would be your hamstrings and the muscles of your lower back. Most people have very weak hamstrings, which are also postural muscles along with causing knee flexion.

I would suggest two things. First, perform exercises such as hamstring curls, good mornings, stiff leg deadlifts, and back extensions. Second, look into ordering some light flexbands (see https://www.jumpstretch.com). You can lay prone and use it to pull your foot up behind your head.

Hope that was helpful.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

a few stretches that might help:

get on all fours, locking your arms out at the elbows and take one leg and swing it out with the knee bent in the same position it started in, doing it 8-12 times for 3 sets and you'll start to feel it. do your both legs. another one is lay on your back and pull your knees to your chest and take your hands and put them on the balls of your feet and pull in. hold for 1-2 minutes, maybe even more. also while you're on your back straighten one leg entirely out bring the other knee half way up to your chest and pull accross with your opposite hand until you feel the stretch. again hold for 1-2 miuntes. hope these help! good luck!

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Its all about streching , if you have the right warm up and warm down technique then u will have no problems. Ive been doing martial arts for 24 years and ive never had a problem like that because i strech the right mucles.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.