• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cultivating Diet

A person's diet can help them or hurt them in ways that nothing else can. You can try to compensate for a poor diet, but the better option is to improve a poor diet, since compensating for vitamen deficiencys or too many meals from McDonald's is hard in the long run. Does anybody have any good suggestions for diet improvements? I believe that the USDA requirements are a good guideline (you can see the food pyramid on the web by searching under Google). I think taking a multivitamen is also essential. One book I read recommended a diet called a macrobiotic diet, but the details are not easy to research. I generally try to follow a kind of South Beach Diet, and it has some good results. My Dad lost 67 pounds on the Adkins Diet, but later found research that discouraged the Adkins diet because it can lead to health problems; apparently, Adkins died of his own diet(!). Cutting out soft drinks and candy bars is an excellant way to lose surplus weight. Does anybody else have any good suggestions, or even some good recipes they could share? Thanks in advance for your replies.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I eat alot of tuna and fish , also eggs and chicken. and lots of water and fruit.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

1.Whole, unprocessed foods with plenty of complex carbohydrates will keep your muscles fueled with glycogen and increase endurance.

2. Plant based protein sources are easier on the kidneys and reduce your exposure to harmful oxidates that can decrease performance.

3. Supplements are not needed(not to mention a waste of $) if you eat a balanced diet which includes whole grains, fruits and veggies.

4. Good hydration practices are just as important as diet!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Don't eat cookies, like I do! :D

Portion control is something that is important as well. Many dieticians recommend eating 5 or 6 smaller meals in a day.

Portion control is something that is important as well. Many dieticians recommend eating 5 or 6 smaller meals in a day.

LOL!!! :lol: I ate a whole bag of Oreo's this morning!! :P

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Its good to know that I am not the only one here who is weak...:)

Its good to know that I am not the only one here who is weak...:)

yeah... stupid oreos and their creme centers.. :dodgy: how dare they control me!

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• 10 months later...

The USDA guidelines, and the food pyramid... poor diet plans with poor science behind them. High carbohydrate low fat diets are POISON!!! Slow poison causing disease and destroying fitness. The fact that so-called experts and officials still, STILL push this idea on people is reprehensible. They should be jailed on charges of fraud, some of them, for what they knowingly do to people. It's like pushing Prozac on kids.

The evidence is very, very strong that the Zone diet (by Barry Sears), while doubling or tripling the fat recommended IF you're active and your bodyfat percentage is low enough. Foods should be paleo foods. See my signature.

Now, when we establish that the zone-paleo diet is basically perfection... the closer you can get to it, the better off you will be.

Increase work capacity over broad time and modal domains. Intensity is key.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

-Sun Tzu

I've seen the research on this, as well as the results that the guys using it over at crossfit are getting out of it. I will say, the results are impressive.

I utilize the crossfit principles myself for workouts, but, despite the fact I've seen the results other people are having, I cant' make the jump to this kind of diet. It's simply too restirctive and quite frankly, I don't need that extra bit of fitness it provides.

Now, had I found it when I was competitive, it would have made the cut to 155 a lot easier. But it's just not worth it to me these days.

A sensible diet, as wholesome as you can make it and still enjoy life seems to work fine for most people, myself included. Add good workout regimes and off you go. But, for the guys really wanting to trim hard, it's a great set up.