• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Randomizing Workouts

Years ago, I saw an episode of wrestling in which one of the wrstlers explained that he would typically pick four physical exercises to focus on for a certain part of his training regimen and then associate those four exercises with the suits from a deck of cards (spades, diamonds, clubs, and hearts). Then his coach would draw a card from a shuffled deck of cards and he would execute a number of repetitons for the associated exercise that matched the rank of the card (Jacks are 11, Queens are 12, Kings are 13, Aces are 14). In this way, the workouts had the same total number of repetitions, but the workouts were randomized so that you only had a 1 in 4 chance of doing the same exercise twice in a row for a certain number of repetitions; although you could possibly do that if the cards came up that way. What do people think of incoporating this idea into their workouts? You could pick four martial art techniques and have the class leader 'draw a card' to decide what you do next. I have even experimented with writing computer programs in the BASIC computer programming language that randomly produce lists of twenty techniques for shadowboxing practice, and then when I get through the list, I can press the space bar to get twenty more and go as long as I want. The program is so simple anybody could write it. What do people think of using the computer for randomized workouts?

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Great idea for a warmup, but I think if you drill kihon in a complex random sequence people will not be able to put their minds on autopilot and just drill technique, they're too busy trying to remember the next move. In fact, I find that by establishing a kihon "routine" order of technique, people know what's coming and are able to focus better. I would suggest changing that sequence only infrequently enough to avoid boredom.

Being able to have a random workout and a set routine are both good.

When it comes to weight training, I have heard that the randomization of exercises is good for keeping the body from getting into a rut. It helps to push past plateaus as well.

As for techniques, random practice may be a good thing as well. It would shake up some classes, that is for sure. But you would want to make sure the stuff is applicable, and to work on it in such a way.

Being able to have a random workout and a set routine are both good.

When it comes to weight training, I have heard that the randomization of exercises is good for keeping the body from getting into a rut. It helps to push past plateaus as well.

As for techniques, random practice may be a good thing as well. It would shake up some classes, that is for sure. But you would want to make sure the stuff is applicable, and to work on it in such a way.

yep.. I completely agree.. :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• 8 months later...

Yes, randomization of one's conditioning program is a good thing. The ability to keep the body guessing is helpful in stimulationg improvment in cardio and strength.

As for ma workouts, I think a certain level of randomness is useful in not gettin bored. However, on a nightly basis, I prefer a slightly more structured method.

I usually try to work by time, so I'll start out working a basic series on the mitts say for a round. After that, I'll add maybe a kick defense to the start of it and a couple of more strikes. The third round it's the defense, the extended combo and maybe a tie up. The fourth will add the actual take down, ect. This way you constantly build reps into the newer material. You can talyor this method to just about anything.

For joint position work, I start with a basic grab release, then build in the manipulation, then precursor it with a strike, then followup control. Get a couple of these series down on a couple of locks and t hen have the trainess randomly grab one another and let them work thru the sequences more "live".

With this kind of thing, you build onto what you just did, so you rep the heck out of the core movements. Then, you teach them how natural follow ups should feel. You move thru all the principles of your art, thus, you teach them thsoe as well. It works pretty well.

Now, for a random aspect, maybe something completely diffent the next time. But I think learning can better be accomplished by linking related movements together and teaching them in context than randomly assiging things.

• 2 months later...

Random.org has some decent randomizing routines, I find that the string generator works best.

However, you can simply assign certain things to certain digits, get the stopwatch in your cell phone out, and start and stop it whenver you like, and take the number in the 1/100s place as your random number. The cards also work perfectly well and random.

Increase work capacity over broad time and modal domains. Intensity is key.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

-Sun Tzu