• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How scared REALLY are you to fight?

Like everyone has said and what i said before, its all about control. Everything in life is about conrtol , you have this and you r half way there to sucuess.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit of an adrenalin-a-holic, and since I don't have the money right now for adventures in foreign jungles or skydiving, I walk around thinking... "You know... If someone in the world has to be attacked tonight, please let it be me."

The only real fight-like thing that I've had was waiting in the New York Subway, and I had something in my hand and someone grabbed my wrist from behind, and I back-kicked him in the balls and took off. It was awesome.

I know it sounds like I'm a 19-year-old boy instead of a girl in her mid-20's, but I'm just being honest here.

You are officially my hero. Mind, my heroes include 456 people but you are somewhere around 'Gary Philmore' according to my list.

Thanks NightOwl :-P

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah really! Even in competion I get nervous. I don't let it freeze me up or any thing. I think its generally common. I mean you don't know really what is going to happen, and the since of getting possibly hurt rather concious or sub concious is there. So the stress of the altercation causes nervousness. No big deal, just got to move past it and not let it hinder you, or have you freeze up when you need to deal with the situation.

Adonis, I am also nervous about getting hurt also but like you said you move past and face it. That is why we practice martial arts to learn to get over the nerves and the fears so we can defend our selfs (or someone). As for sparing I get hurt just about every time I spare meaning new bruise, but it makes me better (I am only fearful of my spouse now he gets me everytime).

I was in a fight when I was in school I was not in the martial arts a the time that came many years later but I hope if it ever come to having to fight I think I could handle myself. Is that not why we train? To be able to protect our selfs or our kids and family. That is one of the reason why I train.

Adonis, I am also nervous about getting hurt also but like you said you move past and face it. That is why we practice martial arts to learn to get over the nerves and the fears so we can defend our selfs (or someone). As for sparing I get hurt just about every time I spare meaning new bruise, but it makes me better (I am only fearful of my spouse now he gets me everytime).

I was in a fight when I was in school I was not in the martial arts a the time that came many years later but I hope if it ever come to having to fight I think I could handle myself. Is that not why we train? To be able to protect our selfs or our kids and family. That is one of the reason why I train.

That is the Number 1 reason why I train.. help control fear, and to fight when I need to...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

So, even if you are controlling your fear, it is still there. I don't know if you can really get rid of fear entirely. Controlling it is possible, and being able to act in spite of it; we call it courage.

So, even if you are controlling your fear, it is still there. I don't know if you can really get rid of fear entirely. Controlling it is possible, and being able to act in spite of it; we call it courage.

yeah, I train myself to control it.. train to control it enough that all the thousands of times I have done the techniques have become part of instinct.. I also believe that no one can completely take it away entirely, I always tell myself and the students in the class to have faith in their skill, really have faith in it.. it has helped my in every tournament.. not some. every one of them..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I will never be able to fight in real life i don't think. I am okay in the dojo and im tough and even give the large fella's a good fight but in real life i would be completely useless. I can't cope with situations like that, i'm a like a frightened rabbit and im ashamed to say i wouldnt know how i would react if my family or friends were in danger. :(

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk