How scared REALLY are you to fight?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit of an adrenalin-a-holic, and since I don't have the money right now for adventures in foreign jungles or skydiving, I walk around thinking... "You know... If someone in the world has to be attacked tonight, please let it be me."

The only real fight-like thing that I've had was waiting in the New York Subway, and I had something in my hand and someone grabbed my wrist from behind, and I back-kicked him in the balls and took off. It was awesome.

I know it sounds like I'm a 19-year-old boy instead of a girl in her mid-20's, but I'm just being honest here.

You are officially my hero. Mind, my heroes include 456 people but you are somewhere around 'Gary Philmore' according to my list.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I dont like streetfights... I dont walk looking for a fight. I try to not fight but I had several street fights.

I dont fear the punches .I have fear of the bullets and the blades.... but Im scared more of the police. My ultimate fear is the jail. The jail is not a good place for a caucasian college kid like me.

I have choked 2 guys , I have been punched by 5 guys, I have been in a lot of street problems , and I solved most of them with verbal attacks , runing when outnumbered, etc. Yes...I run when it is needed :) I not a fast runner, but when I am in danger I m faster than a cheetah.

90 % of the times I fought defending some weaker person ( a girl...a small nerd friend ,etc)

I would face any thug if I know he is unarmed.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

I agree with whoever said they had no idea. The closest I've ever been to a fight was at high school. I was in a disagreement with a guy, and I pulled his headphones off and sat back down, and he lunged at me and put his hands around my throat. I froze up. Seriously. I didn't even raise my hands, it was like I wasn't in my own body. Luckily, one of my other martial arts friends shoved him off of me.

Now? I have no idea. I think I'm better than I was before, but I would personally rather not find out.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Pretty scared im similar with bushido man if it was not built up too much then im sure enough in my own abilities that I would just react.

I think a lot of it comes down to being confident in your own ability. If you really belive that you can take down the guy then you probably will.

that is what my instructor has told me.. to have faith in my skill.. I was so scared in highschool to fight that I didnt even want to go to school sometimes, untill I was 17 and I turned into the very thing that I hated, which was a bully, after that I was never picked on, I was the one doing that bulling then, untill I got my head handed to me, after that, I became friends with this guy kicked my butt.. who just so happened to be a student of my future instructor at the time, and so I started going and it really has changed me a lot.. A LOT..

That takes quite a bit to admit, Throwdown. I was a lot like you were, pre-bully, that is. Now, I am a bit better. I have shared this little story before, but I will do so again....I have a good friend who has been in some scraps, and is not scared to mix it up. He actually trained with me as a student for some time. Him and I were talking about fighting and what not, and my brother came up in the conversation. He told me that my brother was crazy, and has that "little something" (I think it is excess testosterone, to be honest.. :lol: ) that clicks, and you then you fight. My brother loves the adrenaline rush, and he is kind of crazy. He actually wants me to test my tazer on him, that's how crazy he is! :o My buddy went on to tell me that I don't have that "extra something." It was nothing personal against me; the two of us are practically brothers. But, he spoke the truth, and I always thank him for that.

Also I would say it is not so much fear as it is a sense of the gravity and seriousness of a situation.

Bill Kephart: Chito-ryu Karate, Boxing

Contributer-Arthur's hall of Viking Manliness http://www.arthurshall.com/index.shtml

Moderator-Arthur's Viking Forum http://cybermessageboard.fatcow.com/arthurshall/index.php

Also I would say it is not so much fear as it is a sense of the gravity and seriousness of a situation.

the gravity and the seriousness of the situation is what brings on the fear.. you cant have one without the other, you have to just learn to control it..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I've been in a few of these heartracing situations. In the beginning my hands were shaking from the adrenaline and I didn't think I could focus if the guy attacked me (high school stuff).

Nevertheless, he did attack me, but even though I was pumped and a bit frightened, the moves I learned in Martial Arts that were part of my reflexes, paid off. I hit him with two straight punches (he was swinging haymakers), and he dropped. Not KO'd, just hurt.

My only regret is that I couldn't defuse the situation, just wouldn't work on someone who won't listen to you that you didn't talk to his girlfriend. Must be territorial/mating issues.

Now, that situation has happened a lot since then, but I don't shake anymore. I'm confident in my ability to defend myself if I need to. The situation above was the 1st time by the way.

A New Age Dawns