• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not Gaining Muscle?

Aces Red

Currently I weight at least 180-192 pounds and stand 6 foot 4 inches. I have lifted weights constantly, sometimes for hours upon hours. I haven't been gaining any muscle mass over the past three months. Mind you I work out at least three hours a day at the minimum, nine hours at the maximum (with rests inbetween). I mainly jog to warm up, and then work on my flexibility training, then onto strength. My diet consequently is mainly made up of fast food and junk food- not because I want to- but rather because my parents purchase such foods, because of their money value, rather then their nutritional supplements. I would try to get a job in town, however there are no job openings within the city I currently inhabitat and to top that I can't get my licence till I'm 18 years of age (Being 17 and in a few more months I'll be 18 ). Any help would be welcomed. Thank you in advance.

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know where you are from but usually fast food is more expensive than decent good food. So first thing is first you got to sort that out or at least try diet is very very important.

Secondly this may sound weird but you are training too much stick to one hour of full body strength training 3 times a week.

By training so much your body is using up all the calories you could be using to grow just for it to function. Rest is the most important, rest is the part that gives you more mass not the training itself.

Rule of thumb if you want to get big you have to eat big but the right foods.

Muscle building starts in the kitchen and ends in the bedroom the working out is just the middle part.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Listen to Jay. He speaks the truth. Especially the part about your diet. I know it's difficult but you need to eat 6 small meals a day and make sure you get most of your calories from protein. Stay away from the junk food and the fast food. It's nothing but empty calories. Stay away from carbs as much as possible, especially after a workout. If availability of good food is a problem you might want to supplement your diet with protein shakes and/or power bars.

firstly, your working out way too much, your over training, you can do cardio for an hour or two. but when it comes to lifting weights, dont go over an hour cause after that, the growth horomones are depleted and your wasting your time. when I lift, I do one or two body parts max. and I dont go over an hour.. fast food wont work, ask your parents to buy you whey protien and some creatine.. that will help a lot! you wont get bigger cause are lifting more, actually you will get smaller cause your not giving your muscles the right amount of rest and your over training them.. Protien is key! so is water! I drink a a gallon or more a day.. if you have to get fast food, then get subway or kfc ( grilled ) not breaded chicken..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

All good anwers so far. Keep it up!

Anywho, could someone give me some price ranges between fast food items such as: Long Johns: Chicken Platter; McDonalds: Big and Tasty, Hot Fudge Sunday and 1$ Salad as compared to more healthier foods which could last at least a few days if not three do to regular consumption of a group of three in one household and were to buy it at? I’ve seen grapes on sale for 87 cents before, but those are difficult to come by. Anything cheap, healthy, and doesn’t taste like a mountain of poo.

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

I'm not so sure healthy foods are cheaper. I usually find it easier to stay on my diet when I have a "good" month financially. The cost of a pre-cooked meal can often be cheaper, more accessible and very tempting, but it is never the way to go.

If you have a refrigerator, a freezer and a microwave you are on your way. Buy lean meat in large quantities, freeze it in portion-sized bags and defrost them in the microwave. Chicken and turkey works for me. Supplement with greens such as broccoli, mushrooms, onions, peppers etc. This way you can have a healthy nutritious meal quite fast at a low cost.

Remember to eat smaller meals more often, that way you will keep burning calories throughout the day and keep your blood sugar levels stable, avoiding peaks and dips that can cause crankyness and hunger pangs.

I highly recommend http://www.fitday.com where you can get a free account that you can use to track your eating habits, the calories you burn and your weight changes. When i started using it it took the guesswork out of the equation and helped me take control over my eating. Consequently I lost 30 pounds in 6 months.

Give it a try, and let us know how you do!

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson