• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructor losing their cool in sparring

Hmmm, sounds like she was the type of black belt who thinks that the skill she has is somehow stored in the actual belt, rather than as a result of her hard work and training.

If she was on the street and someone threw a punch that she neglected to block, so it instead made contact with her face, you think she'd be able to stop them from continuing to attack and get them to do any push ups by explaining to them that she was a black belt, and they should never hit her?? (Think they would apologize too?)

If she really thinks that the belt around her waist will automatically cause people to never hit her, I think she may need to return to white belt, and start over again.

My advice is stay in the class and continue to strike properly. Maybe she'll learn to block if you do, which it sounds like she needs.

As others have said, never apologize for landing a strike, especially against someone who should know how to defend.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also happened to be a kick I told him to give a try. Goofy me! :lol:

Heh. That'll learn ya. :brow: (On the other hand, you're clearly a good teacher if you're advice worked :lol: )

Yes i agreee , you shouldn't go back to that school.

I third that statement.

I fourth that statement.

I've lost my cool a few times, but never to that degree and I'm never happy after I do. Thankfully I've never made myself look like such a jerk.

More importantly, this is an example of the type of behavior that won't increase student retention at the school. bad for morale and business.

It also happened to be a kick I told him to give a try. Goofy me! :lol:

Heh. That'll learn ya. :brow: (On the other hand, you're clearly a good teacher if you're advice worked :lol: )

I guess that is one way to look at it! :D

My advice is stay in the class and continue to strike properly. Maybe she'll learn to block if you do, which it sounds like she needs.

I disagree.

Under the circumstances it would be futile to try and teach her.

I disagree.

Under the circumstances it would be futile to try and teach her.

Sorry, just a feeble attempt at sarcastic humor on my part. You're certainly right ineluki.

I'm sure it was a matter of pride, I mean c'mon, a 3rd Dan one in the nose from a yellow belt?! It must have been pretty embarasing for them. But thats still no excuse. A good black belt teaches by doing. If thats the attitude of the school owners then I have to agree with everyone else. Maybe its time to look else where. Contact to the face is usually illegal, but I dont think you should ever be AFRAID of hitting a black belt. They SHOULD have better control than that

• 1 month later...

Haha "You should never hit a black blelt"...that's priceless! That's like saying a soldier shouldn't have to go to war or a cop should never have to arrest people or a firefighter shouldn't have to put out fires. I can kind of see her point though...it's not like a 3rd degree BB would ever be equiped with training and experience to handle a punch to the head...oh..wait...

Yeh, ditch the McDojo and find another spot. haha...i'll be laughing over this one all day.

Haha "You should never hit a black blelt"...that's priceless! That's like saying a soldier shouldn't have to go to war or a cop should never have to arrest people or a firefighter shouldn't have to put out fires. I can kind of see her point though...it's not like a 3rd degree BB would ever be equiped with training and experience to handle a punch to the head...oh..wait...

Yeh, ditch the McDojo and find another spot. haha...i'll be laughing over this one all day.

mc dojo?? it just may have been the person, thats all.... doesn't mean the whole place is full of people like that...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Yeah, that is a priceless line. I'd definatly find a new place to train, espically if her views are indeed those of the school as a whole.