• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The style if you had the time...

Daito ryu akijujitsu: This is a classical jujutsu school that I wouldn't really train outside of japan (and I don't have time to do that and Judo plus maybe BJJ so I don't see training it anytime soon). The reason being that 'akijujitsu' is actually quite hard to find, despite a lot of schools that claim to teach it. A lot of instructors take a seminar or even just throw the name in and call themselves experts on it, however outside of daito ryu you aren't going to find the real deal. I would hope however, to find like minded students for resistance training for this one.

My primary art is, and always will be Wado ryu karate, but when I get the time I train in Daitoryu aiki-jujutsu.

I understand what you are saying though about Daito dojos outside of Japan not being exactly "the real deal", as there seems to be a lot of "study groups" that have cropped up. As you say perhaps they have attended a course, paid their money and got the certificate.

I have been lucky, as the club I belong to is part of Okabayashi Shoguns Hakuho-kai, and the instructors of the club are direct students of his.

I also play around with a bit of Itto ryu kenjutsu and have even dabbled in Batto-Jutsu (Iai-Jutsu) thoroughly love it, but wish there was more time to learn more. ahh well!!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently train in Taekwon-Do (ITF style) but would actually like to train in WTF or Kukkiwon Taekwondo too. Would be interesting to see how similar or indeed how disimilar they are.

BJJ is also something I would like to train in as my ground game is virtually non-extistent. Oh and Western boxing and I would really love to learn a sword style... to be honest I'd give any style a go.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Well ive done many style , im a master at 16 styles

ying&yang,

Not wishing to seek contention here but, how are you a "master" of 16 different styles? This is not supposed to be a rude question as I am intrigued.

I have studied the same art for over 20 years and still don’t feel I have scratched the surface, many of my seniors (who have trained for 40 years plus) feel the same way.

I am just interested to understand your perception of "Master". Is it a graded rank, IE first dan? Or an awarded level by your teacher, if so, do you have 16 different teachers?

At a very basic level, if you hold 3rd dan in "Gendai" MA as permission to teach, it would take I would suggest an average of 8 years (min) to achieve this rank., training 2-3 days per week and that would be pushing it.

By my maths you would have had to be training for 64 years to achieve this.

Maybe you have, but even then, a 3rd dan does not really know an awful lot in my eyes, and can in no way be considered a master of the art.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I study Kodokan right now..

I would like to study Kyokushin, I hear its pretty rough stuff.. sounds like fun.. :)

I think a mix like that would be great...especially for MMA interests.

Eventhough I'm on the MA temporary hiatus wagon, I'd like to train in Hapkido or traditional jujitsu. I trained in small circle jujitsu (or an off-shoot), and that was mad fun. Nasty stuff (in a good self defence way).

Laurie F

I study Kodokan right now..

I would like to study Kyokushin, I hear its pretty rough stuff.. sounds like fun.. :)

I think a mix like that would be great...especially for MMA interests.

yeah, I have never took a karate lesson, and I have recently became more interested in Karate or Hapkido..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Daito ryu akijujitsu: This is a classical jujutsu school that I wouldn't really train outside of japan (and I don't have time to do that and Judo plus maybe BJJ so I don't see training it anytime soon). The reason being that 'akijujitsu' is actually quite hard to find, despite a lot of schools that claim to teach it. A lot of instructors take a seminar or even just throw the name in and call themselves experts on it, however outside of daito ryu you aren't going to find the real deal. I would hope however, to find like minded students for resistance training for this one.

My primary art is, and always will be Wado ryu karate, but when I get the time I train in Daitoryu aiki-jujutsu.

I understand what you are saying though about Daito dojos outside of Japan not being exactly "the real deal", as there seems to be a lot of "study groups" that have cropped up. As you say perhaps they have attended a course, paid their money and got the certificate.

I have been lucky, as the club I belong to is part of Okabayashi Shoguns Hakuho-kai, and the instructors of the club are direct students of his.

I also play around with a bit of Itto ryu kenjutsu and have even dabbled in Batto-Jutsu (Iai-Jutsu) thoroughly love it, but wish there was more time to learn more. ahh well!!

Yeah, Hapkido has a similar problem as well I've heard. You can find study groups, but it's hard to actually find the style in of itself.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

let's see....i teach myself in all the spare time not counting computer time >.> but if I could have clases in anything I wanted if i had the time? I need to make a list.

I would like to cross train in all of these if there was time and the proper place/teachers:

Drunken fist kung fu

Snake kung fu

Tai chi

Kendo

Judo

>.> everthing there, besides kendo would be like the "ingredients" to my own personal style + the knife hand -.-;

Kendo would just be for my own interest outside of my fighting. I would also like to add these things that are not martial arts :

Gymnastics

Yoga

Pilates

Breakdancing

These are like..side things that are there for my interest/ extra physical conditioning ^.^

Hopefully I am going to start gymnastics next year :P

As you can see...I would need alot of time.. and probably money >.<

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee