• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian Godan jump...

TraditionalDan

Hi Swadoryu2000, I practise wado ryu as well. I also think the jump is in fact training you for a throw. For my BB test I devised a pair technique based on the sequence leading up to and through the "jump". The jump part was actually twisting and throwing the opponent, ending with the with the knee pressed into their ribs and the juji uke being used as a choke on the throat.
Yes, I agree with you. I definately can see that as a throw. Training-wise, I guess we are taught to do a throw, but I was just scrapping up ideas as to what else can be done.

For some reason, I always pick something out, find a bunkai, and say ''There has to be another way to do this move!'' heh. But I guess some moves has very limited bunkai as to what can be applied, and this particular jump may very well be one of them.

All thoughts have consequences.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Swadoryu2000, I practise wado ryu as well. I also think the jump is in fact training you for a throw. For my BB test I devised a pair technique based on the sequence leading up to and through the "jump". The jump part was actually twisting and throwing the opponent, ending with the with the knee pressed into their ribs and the juji uke being used as a choke on the throat.
Yes, I agree with you. I definately can see that as a throw. Training-wise, I guess we are taught to do a throw, but I was just scrapping up ideas as to what else can be done.

For some reason, I always pick something out, find a bunkai, and say ''There has to be another way to do this move!'' heh. But I guess some moves has very limited bunkai as to what can be applied, and this particular jump may very well be one of them.

I just can't see this as a throw. From a Wado perspective it is not a throw its a jump.

The objective is to achieve lightness, agility and flexibility. Trying to turn it into a throw defeats this objective.

Also I can not see how the throw would be effectual from the the proceeding technique ie the urazuki, as you have opened yourself up into the nagashizuki posture.

This is a very unstable stance and does not lend itself as good foundations to enable a throw.

Just my thought.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I can see it as a jump, Wa-No-Michi. Someone could be leg sweeping you (not sure if that's what you call it), and you could be jumping over that and comming down and striking the opponent (lower juji uke in the kata). Interesting bunkai. Maybe after the throw, the next move (lower juji uke in the kata) can be striking him, making sure he doesn't get up, and the move after that is on to a new opponent. Good thing about kata there is no ''only one'' bunkai.

Good thing about kata there is no ''only one'' bunkai.

Yes I agree, but there comes a point where you have to stop your imagination overtaking common sense.

Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few "high profile" authors of karate bunkai books these days that seem to "pray" on junior karate-ka's lust for the rapid and total understanding of karate-do with theories and applications that are so creative and imaginary some deserve an Oscar.

Don't get me wrong, they serve their purpose to an extent, but they are no substitute for a knowledgeable instructor in my eyes.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

When we perform the jump...like mentioned before we bring the knees as close to the chest as possible. We land with a kiai and land with the X block with the right knee higher than the left. We also land to the side.

Despite practising this kata for years i still find that jump difficult, getting it spot on or not loosing my balance. :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Yeah, the move after that is a kiai for me.

I agree...that jump is hard to get it down right. I personally don't have a problem with it, but I did when first learning that kata. I land facing sideways too, but when I land, I keep by back straight.

Yeah, the move after that is a kiai for me.

I agree...that jump is hard to get it down right. I personally don't have a problem with it, but I did when first learning that kata. I land facing sideways too, but when I land, I keep by back straight.

Back straight... thats how I like to do it as well. :)

Good thing about kata there is no ''only one'' bunkai.

Yes I agree, but there comes a point where you have to stop your imagination overtaking common sense.

Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few "high profile" authors of karate bunkai books these days that seem to "pray" on junior karate-ka's lust for the rapid and total understanding of karate-do with theories and applications that are so creative and imaginary some deserve an Oscar.

Don't get me wrong, they serve their purpose to an extent, but they are no substitute for a knowledgeable instructor in my eyes.

In referring to these books, would you be alluding to the likes of Iain Abernethy?