• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Warm up vs practice time

Generally once you've been training for a couple of months we are expected to do our own warm ups before class. Then we come in and do what I call a 2nd stage warm up where we work to a higher intensity. In a sparring type class we run around the gym and do an exercise pyramid like Rateh described with crunches, push ups, squat thrusts, burpees etc. together with stuff like punching continuously for 30 secs or 30 roundhouses, stuff like that. In a forms lesson we warm up ourselves then do around 6 or 7 forms / drill work. Our instructor is really fitness focused and I have been in sessions where we do the bleep test for a warm up.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally once you've been training for a couple of months we are expected to do our own warm ups before class. Then we come in and do what I call a 2nd stage warm up where we work to a higher intensity. In a sparring type class we run around the gym and do an exercise pyramid like Rateh described with crunches, push ups, squat thrusts, burpees etc. together with stuff like punching continuously for 30 secs or 30 roundhouses, stuff like that. In a forms lesson we warm up ourselves then do around 6 or 7 forms / drill work. Our instructor is really fitness focused and I have been in sessions where we do the bleep test for a warm up.

uhm...if you don't mind me asking...a bleep test???

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I like this philosophy more. I prefer to do a quick warm up and get the rest of the exercise through training. I love to learn, and if half of my paid for time is going to exercise, I feel a bit like there isn't enough material to cover a whole hour so exercise acts as filler.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I agree with pegassi, we only have an hours lesson so i think 10 minutes is ample enough. I think if a student wants to warm up a little more then they could arrive at the dojo ten minutes earlier. I would feel like i wasnt getting my money's worth if we did 20 mins warm up. :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

An vile invention which serves only to make individuals like myself feel incredibly unfit.

Basically you have a 20m length to do shuttle runs back and forth whilst a tape bleeps at you. When it bleeps you are supposed to have reached across the other side of the room and are just turning back and the beeps get quicker and quicker as you pass more levels. I think its also called a "multi-stage fitness test". If you want to listen you can get it from here:

http://www.defence.gov.au/army/hq8bde/jobs/fitness.htm

There is also situp, push up etc. versions.

Yes the bleep test is a great way to test your VO2 max. my bleep test score is 16.5

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

An vile invention which serves only to make individuals like myself feel incredibly unfit.

Basically you have a 20m length to do shuttle runs back and forth whilst a tape bleeps at you. When it bleeps you are supposed to have reached across the other side of the room and are just turning back and the beeps get quicker and quicker as you pass more levels. I think its also called a "multi-stage fitness test". If you want to listen you can get it from here:

http://www.defence.gov.au/army/hq8bde/jobs/fitness.htm

There is also situp, push up etc. versions.

im in pain from just asking! that sounds God awful, but i may test it out on my students sometime :brow:

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Yes the bleep test is a great way to test your VO2 max. my bleep test score is 16.5

Wow. :o 16.5 is awesome. At that your supposed to average about 9 mph!

im in pain from just asking! that sounds God awful, but i may test it out on my students sometime

Trust me, your students will hate you. :lol:

i think this really depends on the length of time you have. hour long classes have always made me uneasy, since it's difficult to get decent time stretching/warming up and spend any time on new material. when i was teaching classes, it was expected that students show up early, and more experienced students would lead stretches/warm ups in the back. anybody who couldn't make it early generally took time out of the beginning of class. it's probably unfair, but no one ever complained to me, and people were open to staying after to cover whatever they might have missed. i can see this as being a problem for anyone who doesn't have lots of space, though.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

DWX : yea i was pritty fit wen i did it lol, ive seen some people do 18-20's very fit people.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.