• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

washing your belt

Ninjanoir78

The real reaso for the tradition of not washing belts is this: In the 50's when I began Karate and Kempo, there were no martial arts stores, no magazines etc so, in other words, no place to buy a Gi. In Honolulu we had one store, Hakabundo on Beretania (down by Aala park). They sometimes had gis from Japan. Gi's didn't come in a big selection of sizes. You usually bought a Gi several sizes too large because when you washed a gi, it shrank, and I mean shrank. The belt shrank also, so we didn't wash them. The belts were usually green, brown and Black, unless the instructor had some local person who could sew them for his school. When we made our green belt (took about a year or more) we had to use Rit dye, and dye our belt. This meant boiling the belt and dye in a pot. Then we'd hang it over a tree limb and get people to hang on each end so it would stretch. We'd do this until it dried and pray it hadn't shrank too much too wear. Then we still didn't wash it. We'd get a brown belt after 2-3 years and again, boil it in dye, and stretch it the best we could. In 4-5 years we'd get black and repeat the boiling.

If you notice the green covered up the dirty white, the brown covered the green OK and black covered them all up.

I still have the same belt I bought in 1959. It hangs quietly in my closet alongside other black belts with several stripes on them. When my great grandson gets his adult black belt, I'll give it to him with instructions not too wash it.

Anyway, as time passed, my friend Ed Parker sent me some magazines called "Black Belt"and asked that I pass them around in Hawaii to help get the magazine started. And soon there were MA stores etc etc.

But, now you know why the legend of "Don't wash your belt." really got started. It was just a joking thing we'd say, and today it seems some people take it seriously.

Wow, that's a really cool story, thanks for sharing. And it makes sense too! That's cool about Ed Parker too, that's awesome that you two were friends, he was quite the gentleman, and an amazing Martial Artist.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real reaso for the tradition of not washing belts is this: In the 50's when I began Karate and Kempo, there were no martial arts stores, no magazines etc so, in other words, no place to buy a Gi. In Honolulu we had one store, Hakabundo on Beretania (down by Aala park). They sometimes had gis from Japan. Gi's didn't come in a big selection of sizes. You usually bought a Gi several sizes too large because when you washed a gi, it shrank, and I mean shrank. The belt shrank also, so we didn't wash them. The belts were usually green, brown and Black, unless the instructor had some local person who could sew them for his school. When we made our green belt (took about a year or more) we had to use Rit dye, and dye our belt. This meant boiling the belt and dye in a pot. Then we'd hang it over a tree limb and get people to hang on each end so it would stretch. We'd do this until it dried and pray it hadn't shrank too much too wear. Then we still didn't wash it. We'd get a brown belt after 2-3 years and again, boil it in dye, and stretch it the best we could. In 4-5 years we'd get black and repeat the boiling.

If you notice the green covered up the dirty white, the brown covered the green OK and black covered them all up.

I still have the same belt I bought in 1959. It hangs quietly in my closet alongside other black belts with several stripes on them. When my great grandson gets his adult black belt, I'll give it to him with instructions not too wash it.

Anyway, as time passed, my friend Ed Parker sent me some magazines called "Black Belt"and asked that I pass them around in Hawaii to help get the magazine started. And soon there were MA stores etc etc.

But, now you know why the legend of "Don't wash your belt." really got started. It was just a joking thing we'd say, and today it seems some people take it seriously.

Wow, that's a really cool story, thanks for sharing. And it makes sense too! That's cool about Ed Parker too, that's awesome that you two were friends, he was quite the gentleman, and an amazing Martial Artist.

This is a case where the stigma if "don't wash your belt, ever!" is a result of a process that would ruin the belt, or otherwise negate what you have done to it, from washing it. Now, in the day and age of manufactured belts that don't shrink or fall apart or lose color, the stigma doesn't carry. It just isn't necessary. Yet some people will hang on.

this kid didn't place it on the floor, he close to threw it. and if he didn't have to, he wouldnt have picked it up either, it was more like he was throwing it out than placing it away. especially for someone receiving black belt rank, i thought that he'd have more respect first of all, and second of all, it's a rule for it not to touch the floor, so to violate one right in the middle of your ceremony, doesn't exactly make you or us look great.

Oddly enough that was actually the TRADITION at my first school. When you got a new rank, the instructor called you up to the front of the class. On the way there you took off your old belt and tossed it aside, most students flung it as far as they could. When you got to the instructor he would tie your new belt on you. After class (belts were always given out at the end of class) you would find your old belt and take it with you. It was always a good idea to write your name on it first though, because there could be a number of people getting the same rank that day and it might be difficult discerning whos was whos. Aside from that you never let the belt touch the floor, to the point that when we stretched out we would purposefully lay it across our legs during stretches like the middle stretch instead of letting it touch the floor. I think the idea was that you throw away the old identity, and take on the new responsibilities of your new rank. It was actually really fun, I was a young teen at the time, and I looked forward to that part of the very short ceremony. (toss the belt, get it tied on, bow to the rest of the class, go back to your spot). Everyone cheered when the person threw the belt.

That is a very interesting history lesson sangngak, thanks for sharing.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

In my organization, we toss the old belt when getting a BB. As you said, very symbolic & cool!

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

this kid didn't place it on the floor, he close to threw it. and if he didn't have to, he wouldnt have picked it up either, it was more like he was throwing it out than placing it away. especially for someone receiving black belt rank, i thought that he'd have more respect first of all, and second of all, it's a rule for it not to touch the floor, so to violate one right in the middle of your ceremony, doesn't exactly make you or us look great.

Oddly enough that was actually the TRADITION at my first school. When you got a new rank, the instructor called you up to the front of the class. On the way there you took off your old belt and tossed it aside, most students flung it as far as they could. When you got to the instructor he would tie your new belt on you. After class (belts were always given out at the end of class) you would find your old belt and take it with you. It was always a good idea to write your name on it first though, because there could be a number of people getting the same rank that day and it might be difficult discerning whos was whos. Aside from that you never let the belt touch the floor, to the point that when we stretched out we would purposefully lay it across our legs during stretches like the middle stretch instead of letting it touch the floor. I think the idea was that you throw away the old identity, and take on the new responsibilities of your new rank. It was actually really fun, I was a young teen at the time, and I looked forward to that part of the very short ceremony. (toss the belt, get it tied on, bow to the rest of the class, go back to your spot). Everyone cheered when the person threw the belt.

That is a very interesting history lesson sangngak, thanks for sharing.

That's understandable. There's a concept that goes behind it, and the concept isnt carelessness, this kid was just being careless. But that is kind of a cool idea, it sort of makes sense. It just goes to show that every style is different.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• 4 weeks later...

I don't wash mine, but that's really more out of laziness that tradition.

We don't wear belts much but for cerimonial stuff, so they really don't get that dirty anymore. Now, the most trauma my belt is likely to suffer is being crammed into my duffel with my post-workout sweaty clothes.

Even back when I was wearing it regualrly though, I never recall it getting mankey enough to really need to wash.

To each his own on this one, I think.

• 1 month later...

only wash my belt when i receive a new belt. so it is loser and not stiff. afterwards that. i wont because when you gt dirt on it from working out etc. that shows your hard work. and its tradition. why would you want to wash off your hard work ? :karate: :karate: :karate: :karate: :D :D :D :) :)

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” ~ Bruce Lee

• 1 month later...
yes, i have heard the 'myth' cries. and i have also read that article, but unless i have substantial evidence, i will follow the tradition i have learned and maintain set in my ways. whether its true or not, i believe it has some good points and is good to follow. but nonetheless, until i find a reason to wash my belt, i'll continue to keep it the way it is, and with the new fad of washing the belt to make it look more worn, it gives me all the more reason to not wash it. whatever others do is fine, wash or don't wash, but i've had my bb for a long time, and trained very hard with it and just so everyone knows, it smells fine. :karate:

Agreed, Tang Soo to tradition!!

Going For Gold St. Petersburgh '10

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position"

- Ed Parker