• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shaolin Kempo Karate

jasonc84

New to the forums and new to karate, just curious if anyone has ever trained Shaolin Kempo. Just started a few weeks ago, i'm a fan so far. Did a little bit of reading on different styles and decided Kempo sounded the most interesting to me so i found a Dojo and now i'm started. Its a Villaris Self Defense center, anyone have experience with this style?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i'm also curious for anyone's opinoins on the Villari's system. I've read very mixed reviews some claiming that the lineage isn't ever known and that the arts claimed to be incorporated aren't really there. I will only be training at the Dojo i'm at now for the next few months and then i will be moving, so i want to do some research now so that once i move i can either continue at another Villari's or start somewhere else. kempo def intrests me the most and i'll be in NYC next year so i'm sure my possiblitlies will be endless.

I think I remember having a discussion about Shaolin Kempo Karate on another forum, and it was kind of weird because Shaolin Kempo would denote a Chinese derivation, where as Karate is Japanese/Okinawan. The name seems to be an oxymoron. However, that doesn't mean that you won't receive good training at the school.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not certain but isn't "Kempo" an Okinawan word? (e.g. Ryukyu Kempo) Which if memory serves is an adaptation of the Chinese term "Kenpo" (meaning fist method).

I remember reading a book on Kung Fu by Wong Kiew Kit, I think he mentioned that Shoalin came to encompass a number of arts that were all taught at the Shoalin temple at one time or another.

Karate is of course Japanese meaning "empty hand." Of course it also meant "Tang Hands" before Okinawa became a Japanese prefecture.

So it is a bit of describing a word with itself, but I think it may mean that there are influences from Chinese, Japanese, and Okinawan influences.

As far as Villari goes I have seen little if anything, but I believe his lineage goes back through Ed Parker the founder of American Kenpo. I could be wrong but I remember seeing his name associated with Ed Parker somewhere and I know the Villari system came after AK was founded (of course which evolution of Ed Parker's AK I can't recall).

Upate:

Okay, I just did a quick look and it looks like Villari studied under K.S. Chow one of Master Parkers first teachers. So that's how that plays into the whole thing.

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker

Welcome to the forums and the martial arts. I do have experience in this style and you have chosen a good first style.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 6 months later...

I don't practice Shaolin Kempo but a few of my friends do and they like it. They practice at the local Villari's dojo in the city they live in. I don't practice it because the local one is too expensive and I live an hour away.

I have ninja monkies in my brain and they are using it as a trampaline.