• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does blackbelt mean?

I had been doing karate for 20 years on and off since i was 8 years old and all i ever dreamed of was getting my black belt one day and teaching. Now i have my black belt and i still feel the same...only now i feel like i'm starting from a different beginning and i really like it :D

I was beside myself with pride when i passed shodan and i still am each time i wear that belt and teach the kids in the club, i do see it as an honour as i have worked so hard and so long to reach it. It's a new journey now, so much more to learn and to also continue with all the kyu grade work.

It's all good! :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a general question to everyone. Do you think that students (and parents) themselves see a blackbelt instructor as being more qualified than a colourd belt instructor that just hasn't tested for whatever reason? If they had exactly the same level of proficiency and teaching ability yet one had gone and done the exam.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Just a general question to everyone. Do you think that students (and parents) themselves see a blackbelt instructor as being more qualified than a colourd belt instructor that just hasn't tested for whatever reason? If they had exactly the same level of proficiency and teaching ability yet one had gone and done the exam.

Yes, I do think students & parents think a BB instructor is more qualified than a colored belt instructor. It's like having a teaching assistant teach a college course vs. the professor. And yes, hopefully the BB is able to teach.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Yes, I do think students & parents think a BB instructor is more qualified than a colored belt instructor. It's like having a teaching assistant teach a college course vs. the professor. And yes, hopefully the BB is able to teach.

This is about the right track. The main thing is the perception. Many think that the quality is the difference.

i absolutely think that students and parents would see the black belt as being more qualified. just because that parents see rank, and power, and leadership, and responisibility and sometimes as ability. while we(marital artists) know that is not the case, parents who are not artists believe that. and i think students may think somewhat similarly but see rank as more power and leadership and may see through the ability and responsibility. its unfortunate but my answer is yes, i do think they'd naturally see the black belt as 'better' or whatever.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

it means you are in control of all of your emotions. and can control them, that includes fear. nothing against karate or TKD but, a punch is a punch and a kick will always be a kick. I have seen many BB's freeze in a real fight. they are not a blackbelt, they just payed their monthly fee and got it.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

for the most part, after looking at this i agree with everyone...to an extent. i think that the meaning of a black belt cannot be narrowed down to one thing or even a group of things but many and almost infinate things, and i think many of them and most of the 'hi-light' ones have been noted here. granted i agree with some of these qualities less than others but i do still agree with them. i'd like to think of it as a large pie chart...:)

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

it means you are in control of all of your emotions. and can control them, that includes fear. nothing against karate or TKD but, a punch is a punch and a kick will always be a kick. I have seen many BB's freeze in a real fight. they are not a blackbelt, they just payed their monthly fee and got it.

Just because someone still has some fears doesn't necessarily make it the fault of the style they are studying. It is very difficult to address the fear factor when you don't ever practice while you are afraid. There aren't a lot of styles that offer this kind of environment.