• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help needed: weight/fitness issue

40 cent

Ok...Im used to fighting kyokushin around 69kg perfect for my division of under 70kg, im around 5'10' i think. Over the past few months i have REALLY cleaned up my diet, im very disciplined with saturated fats and carbs after lunch, but eat very well with fruit, vegies, brown rice, yoghurt, eggs meat etc.

I train very hard. Skipping/bagwork in mornings throughout the weekdays, then a 6km run every weekday then kyokushin or kickboxing class every weekday. Training 3 times a day, and also do situps throughout the day as well, light riding on weekend days. I have really leaned up and 'ripped' up a bit, and im REALLY happy with my fitness and endurance levels..Diet gives me good energy levels too.

HOWEVER, jumped on the scales and to my horror im at 64kg!!! This is far too light and i want to get back up in weight. Can i gain weight whilst maintaing my fitness/endurance and 'lean' muscle? Suggestions please...fighting in two months :P

Can i simply add weights and more protein or will i have to back off the cardio? I realise i shouldve cycled my regime but too late now...

any help greatly appreciated

grant

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes you can gain weight while maintaining your current fitness levels, I personally would add more protein. About 2 to 3 grams per pound of bodyweight should suffice. Your body will also maintain more muscle if you start implementing a weight training routine at least three days a week.

Hope this helps,

That would be total.. I wouldn't eat more than 3 grams per pound of body weight. It also matters when you eat the protein as well. A small amount about an hour before you work out will do wonders to conserve muscle tissue while training. And a larger amount after your most difficult training session of the day. I would say 50 to 85 grams of protein....

Don't forget to listen to your body...

im just posting up my diet and the things ive added are in red. late for work so itl be quick!

Sit ups

Minimum 3 fruits in a smoothie, a little juice, 3 eggs, honey

Oats with a little honey

Skipping/Bag Work - 45 mins

Protein Shake with water here?

1 cup Brown rice & 95 Tuna

6km Run (should i lessen the distance?) 2 or 3 days a week this will be swapped for heavy weights training

Protein Shake with skim milk

Natural low fat yoghurt with handful almonds/roasted peanuts/sultanas

Small piece of lean lamb

Training: Kickboxing/karate

Dinner: 4 vegies & Chicken no skin

I can add in extra servings of tuna and eggs throughout the day if need be?

Anyway let me know what you think sorry not much time to go through everything...

I would keep the bagwork, drop the running to 1 day a week for 8 weeks. Add a weight training routine 3 days a week and check your weight every 2 weeks.

you can add more protein, but it will likely take more than that. You need more food in general, not just protein. Remember, there are 3500 calories in a pound, and you won't be taking in THAT much protein. In addition, you will need to back off the cardio somewhat - the body cannot be in both an anabolic and catabolic state simultaneously - it's one or the other.

You WILL have to back off of the cardio - look at your routine - riding, skipping, running and bagwork (to an extent) are all cardio related. It's hard to gain when your training is focused on burning.

• 1 month later...
Ok...Im used to fighting kyokushin around 69kg perfect for my division of under 70kg, im around 5'10' i think. Over the past few months i have REALLY cleaned up my diet, im very disciplined with saturated fats and carbs after lunch, but eat very well with fruit, vegies, brown rice, yoghurt, eggs meat etc.

I train very hard. Skipping/bagwork in mornings throughout the weekdays, then a 6km run every weekday then kyokushin or kickboxing class every weekday. Training 3 times a day, and also do situps throughout the day as well, light riding on weekend days. I have really leaned up and 'ripped' up a bit, and im REALLY happy with my fitness and endurance levels..Diet gives me good energy levels too.

HOWEVER, jumped on the scales and to my horror im at 64kg!!! This is far too light and i want to get back up in weight. Can i gain weight whilst maintaing my fitness/endurance and 'lean' muscle? Suggestions please...fighting in two months :P

Can i simply add weights and more protein or will i have to back off the cardio? I realise i shouldve cycled my regime but too late now...

any help greatly appreciated

grant

:o How the hell do you find time to do all that? :o

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Less cardio

More Calories

Also in regards to cardio I believe that HIIT runs are more effective than straight running. Try doing a 2km hit run between lamposts let me know what you think. Sprint between one set and jog the other set etc etc it has been proven to be more effective than straight running. Make sure you push yourself.

2 months is way too little time to put on 5kg of pure muscle. You will struggle to put on fat with all that cardio.

Do 3 full body weights days like Takedown has suggested no weight machines only free weights. I think we can probs get you up to about 67Kg at best.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.