• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan - Opinions

bjjapprentice

I have been training in Okinawan Shuri Ryu for a few years, but my new job takes me to a place far away and I have joined a Shotokan Dojo... it has been a rough transition.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is alright, is that due to stylistic differences or training philosophies?

Shotokan from what I have seen is a good striking art that does pretty well for itself when trained properly. The trick is finding a good school to train at- the quality runs from shoddy to great so if you have an interest in the style check out multiple schools if you can.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I think the difficulty is due to my own dorkiness. Slight differences in stances, particularly the use of layout stances, new kata, thrust kicks, slight differences in prep positions...

It seems easy to learn something new than to have to relearn stuff in a slightly different way.

To compound the problems I still go to my Okinawa-te class on Thursdays.

i have practiced SKA Shotokan i didnt really care much for it but i dont care much for katas lol it is very linear and a hard style my instructor taugh a lot of kata applications he was a great guy just not the style for me you should try it out though my friend practices in it and loves it from what i hear though SKA is more traditional than JKA so give it a shot

God Bless

Shotokan...what can i say without being biased? lol

I have been doing shotokan for years and i love it, i really couldn't imagine doing anything else...i tried Shukokai once and i just wasnt the same, i didnt get any love from it so i went back to good ole Shotokan. :D

I hope you enjoy it and get everything you are looking for out of an MA! :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

If you are looking for modern karate, then Shotokan

(or Shito/Goju/Wado) is for you.

If you are looking for older styled karate (touide or tote) than Shotokan ( or Goju/Shito/Wado) is not for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in MAs since 1959. Although all of my belts are in other systems, if today you asked me where to train I'd suggest the JKA. They have as far as I can see, maintained a high standard for these many years, where other schools have fragmented into a million pieces.

I met Kanazawa and Nishiyama when the JKA sent them to Honolulu in the early 60's. (Kanazawa lived across the hall from my friend). I learned a lot from talking to them. I also was friends with Sensei Oshima in the 60's. He had the only certificate I've ever seen that had Funakoshi's seal on it. His REAL seal, not a copy.

I think many people avoid JKA simply because they have to work hard and produce certain standards of results. That is how ALL Karate schools were in the late 50's early 60's.

I'm retired but not too long back a local university asked me to set up a Karate class for them, so I set up a no-nonsense JKA style class.

My vote still belongs to JKA for the all time best record for maintaining the principles of Karate.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

Osu.

- Killer -

I've been in MAs since 1959. Although all of my belts are in other systems, if today you asked me where to train I'd suggest the JKA. They have as far as I can see, maintained a high standard for these many years, where other schools have fragmented into a million pieces.

I met Kanazawa and Nishiyama when the JKA sent them to Honolulu in the early 60's. (Kanazawa lived across the hall from my friend). I learned a lot from talking to them. I also was friends with Sensei Oshima in the 60's. He had the only certificate I've ever seen that had Funakoshi's seal on it. His REAL seal, not a copy.

I think many people avoid JKA simply because they have to work hard and produce certain standards of results. That is how ALL Karate schools were in the late 50's early 60's.

I'm retired but not too long back a local university asked me to set up a Karate class for them, so I set up a no-nonsense JKA style class.

My vote still belongs to JKA for the all time best record for maintaining the principles of Karate.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Glad to read your post and I agree with you .

never give up !