• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Was the Olympics the right direction for TKD?

Was making Taekwondo an Olympic event a move in the right direction for the martial art?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Was making Taekwondo an Olympic event a move in the right direction for the martial art?

• Yes
    • No

Because TKD is a martial arts right? lol and i dont think that MA should be in the same field as sports.

sports = competition and competition = sports.. pretty much the same thing, cause there is competition in Aikido, Judo, karate, TKD, Tang soo do, boxing, sambo, the list is huge... so almost all martial arts can be placed into a "sport" kinda way, if you mean sport as in, a point system and all that jazz.. :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because TKD is a martial arts right? lol and i dont think that MA should be in the same field as sports.

As the need for hand-to-hand combat became less and less in society, the societies found ways to propogate their fighting styles and methods by advancing ways of competing with them. That is why we have the sport Martial Arts that we do today.

You both dont understand what i am saying. Sport and Martial arts are very different , you are not going to kill someone in say soccer. My opinion is that Martial arts and sports should not be put in the same field , and im sure that all the masters and founders of the styles we use today would agree when i say its disrespectfull to put self defence in the olympics.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

You both dont understand what i am saying. Sport and Martial arts are very different , you are not going to kill someone in say soccer. My opinion is that Martial arts and sports should not be put in the same field , and im sure that all the masters and founders of the styles we use today would agree when i say its disrespectfull to put self defence in the olympics.

no offense ying yang, but how do you know that any of your skills work? a punching bag isnt going to do it... do you spar? just a question.. :D Sport competition is a way of validating all the skill and training that someone would have.. Olympics or not.. and just because someone is in a marial art doesnt mean they have to kill them? look at Muai Thai? its a great Martial Art and is a Major "sport" in thailand..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

You both dont understand what i am saying. Sport and Martial arts are very different , you are not going to kill someone in say soccer.
Like I said before, it depends on what definition of "sport" you are using.
My opinion is that Martial arts and sports should not be put in the same field , and im sure that all the masters and founders of the styles we use today would agree when i say its disrespectfull to put self defence in the olympics.
But TKD, Judo, Boxing, and Fencing are in the Olympics. The masters and founders of these styles certainly aren't complaining.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

no offense ying yang, but how do you know that any of your skills work? a punching bag isnt going to do it... do you spar? just a question.. :D Sport competition is a way of validating all the skill and training that someone would have.. Olympics or not.. and just because someone is in a marial art doesnt mean they have to kill them? look at Muai Thai? its a great Martial Art and is a Major "sport" in thailand..

I understand perfectly what you are saying, ying&yang. I just don't agree with your opinion, and am expressing what I think.

Sparring can be a good testing ground, but it is not the only one out there, nor is it always the most legitimate. It just depends on the type of sparring that you do. Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Pankration, TKD, and MMA are great because they are usually applying the techniques to fully resisting opponents, and at full speed. Even though they fall within a rule set, some of the technqiues are still legitimate.

Like Jigoro Kano? Founder of Judo and the reason it is in the Olympics?

When was the last time you killed someone in martial arts? Martial artists have engaged in sparring contests since forever. That could be boxing, kung fu, or anything else. Its a form of training and the closest thing to actual combat- the fact that it falls under the definition of sport is irrelevant.

The issue that I have with TKD in the Olympics is that I belive that the ruleset is detrimental and bad for training (or at least not very efficient) as opposed to good sparring which will help you greatly in fighting. A knockdown style rule set would be much better in my opinion, but doing so would make the constant jumping action and light on feet kicks not nearly as common. This makes it less 'interesting' to watch and thus isn't as marketable.

Same thing with Olympic Judo rules and boxing rules, however on the whole the general martial arts communities train Olympic boxing and Judo when they have it in mind to get into the Olympics and have different rule sets for competitions otherwise. WTF/ATA/ITF rule sets on the whole though are still very similar whether you are in the Olympics or not and produce bad habits in my opinion.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Many Combatives instructors will tell you that no matter what the fighting sports rules are, that any of them can give bad habits. TKD rules are set up to emphasize the kicking in the style, which what the Koreans chose to emphasize in the style. Boxing is the opposite way; they like the hands.

I think that Olympic TKD would perhaps gain some enthusiasm if they dropped the protective gear.