• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

help

threesixtyfive

i don't know of many forums where i can post this but..here goes.

At karate class,(shotokan karate), most of the higher grades..are bullies.

Yes i know i sound like a little kid now but i just can't take their abuse anymore. i am a green belt, and most of the red belt and ups abuse me and my brother all the time.

Now i just feel that i dont wanna go to karate anymore, because of these people. They've been doing karate much longer than i have and they have established a good relationship to the instructors.

Reasons for this may be

1. i am the only asian there apart from my brother.

2. i hav severe eczema especially on my hands.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off.What do you mean by abuse? Is this in class or before/after and are the instructors aware? What was the setting like when you first joined...Has it changed? If so is there a turning point?

I would not want to give any advice yet until you give a more detailed explanation.

Thanks

Karate..........The weaponless weapon........

Find a new school. If you feel that ALL of the higher ranking people are bullies, then there is a fundamental problem in the school. You don't want to pick up their bad habits.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree with both Bushido and PS1. You don't wanna be training in an environment like that. I'm assuming you generally enjoy your karate..despite whats happening. Don't let it dishearten you, look for another school. Like PS1 says it sounds like there are problems within the school and you really dont want to be a part of that. :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I agree that you should find a new school. It sounds like your in a class wil all kids (I mean under 18). It would be great if you could get into an adult class, with people who are past the age where picking on others is fun. The class I attend is for adults, but we do have several junior high and high school students.

The fact that any kind of bullying is going on at your dojo is disgraceful. If and when you do decide to leave, you should have your parents make it clear to whoever's in charge exactly why he's losing their business. I bet that would be an eye opener.

I also have major eczema on my hands, so I know how awful it can be. It really hurts in class when I'm hot, too. I don't have any advice about it...nothing I've tried seems to help, but I feel your pain! Stay tough!

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL???

Hmmm...don't know wy my last post inserted that little smiley face instead of the number 8. I meant to say "under age eighteen". One for the bizarro file, I guess.

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL???

I agree that this is not a good training enviroment for you or your brother. I hate to hear this is happening in any dojo. I mean pushing someone during a high grade promotion or because you have great potentail is one thing. I would also agree on making it perfectlly clear to the head instructor why I'm leaving his dojo.

You may want to try talking to the instructor if you feel comfortable with this and don't think this will increase the abuse on you and your brother. But it sounds like the instructor basically doesn't care what the higher ranks do to you.

Attending your martial arts class should be something you look forward too not a time of dreed. Keep us posted on you situation. Good luck with finding a school you feel comfortable training in. Train hard and be true to yourself and others.

In some schools, older students will pick on the newer ones until they've "proved" or "earned" a place. If that's true, it might just be a case of showing them that you're not to be picked on, even if they're higher. If it's not, there are probably serious problems here.

I agree, though, that I would like to hear more about the situation. How long have you trained? Where is green belt in Shotokan ranks? Has it always gone on or started recently? In and out of dojo? Details do help.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

The other option, of course, is to stand up to them. However, if they have numbers, and are willing to approach you outside of class, then it might not be the best of ideas.