TraditionalDan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the best karate series is still very good, the new book has some change in the kata...
I am reading the Best Karate series right now, and I like it alot, even though I am not a Karate practitioner. There is some very good information in there, and the forms layouts in the books are very nice.

the best karate series is still very good, the new book has some change in the kata...

What kind of changes specifically?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

for exemple, in heian godan or bassai-dai when we raised the knee before de gedan-barai in kiba-dachi, in this book, we do the move without the knee, directly in kiba dachi. It's just a minor changes, not really important, you know, if you want to sell a new book, on the same subject, you need to something new......

Jimmy Rancourt

for exemple, in heian godan or bassai-dai when we raised the knee before de gedan-barai in kiba-dachi, in this book, we do the move without the knee, directly in kiba dachi. It's just a minor changes, not really important, you know, if you want to sell a new book, on the same subject, you need to something new......

In every book that I read on the ITF forms for TKD, I see all kinds of minor changes to the forms as well. Of all the book that I have read on this forms system, I have learned that A) none are the same, and B) none of them exactly match how my association does the forms, either.

In every book that I read on the ITF forms for TKD, I see all kinds of minor changes to the forms as well. Of all the book that I have read on this forms system, I have learned that A) none are the same, and B) none of them exactly match how my association does the forms, either.

One thing about the ITF forms is they constantly get updated. Every year or so someone from the club (usually the instructor) attends an ICC seminar and we get told that certain moves have changed slightly. Take for instance the backfist, release, punch from Joong-Gun (moves 17-19), when I first learnt the form, I was taught not to move the feet but to rely on hip twist only and then change stance into the punch. Now I move the front foot and turn the hip to release while changing stance because its supposed to be more effective. Another example is the horizontal punch (soopyng jirugi) from Poe-Eun. Befoe I used to do it by bringing the hands in front of the body and punch out, now we are supposed to bring one hand back towards the armpit and the other hand across the body and punchout. That move changed because you get more power punching straight out rather than across (kinda difficult to explain what I mean). So the different variations arise because different people follow the different "editions" of the form.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

They sure do change a lot, that is for sure. I would like to see one of those clinics, DWx.

There's actually a three day one in 2 weeks that I'm going to with Master Hwang Ho here in the UK. He travelled with Gen. Choi and coaches the Czech Republic team.

That's cool. Let me know what you find out there.

Will do :).

On the program is:

Patterns from Chon-Ji onwards, Total Sparring System (Sambo, Ibo, Ilbo, Ban-jaju, Jaju matsogi), Special Techniques, Power breaking and also Self-defense and Tando matsogi (defense against knife).

Sounds like it will be good.