• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ugh well, my 'essential kit' is rediculous. back when i was just a student, i'd have the biggest bag alive. it was one of those century vinyl large bags...it was disgusting. i had fighting gear in it, tonfas, sias, foam chuks. then i had paperwork in the sides like fliars. change of clothes. anything you can imagine. now that im an instructor, and just don't care that much about having everything in the world in my bag, i just carry my briefcase with all my paperwork and about a dozen rubber throwing stars in it, and a change of clothes and thats it.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

My buddy that I work on Defensive Tactics with has quite the bag: usually a portable DVD player, his knee brace, lots of DVDS, some manuals, some soft air pistols and some rubber band guns...with ammo.

I have my own rubber band gun that I take with me now, too.

As well as my do-gi, belt, mitts, gum shield, shin and instep, and cup, my bag has got some great goodies in it:

Hook and Jab pads

Hakama

Tanto

and cord for hojo-jutsu

In my Sword bag I have:

Kodachi

Boken

Iaito

If I can be bothered to haul it a long I have kick shields.

But I am also very sad.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

When I go to see my weapons instructor I carry a shotgun carrying case that has all of my weapons in it. (Short ones that is.)

Since I never know what he is going to want to teach I feel that I should always have tonfa, sais, tekkos, jo, bokken, kama and all of my longer weapons to boot.

When I come into the building I look like I am planning to invade a small country.

When I go to see my weapons instructor I carry a shotgun carrying case that has all of my weapons in it. (Short ones that is.)

Since I never know what he is going to want to teach I feel that I should always have tonfa, sais, tekkos, jo, bokken, kama and all of my longer weapons to boot.

When I come into the building I look like I am planning to invade a small country.

Excellent: lol:

I must admit, some of the guys that I train with in my Kobudo group could easily be mistaken for arms dealers.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Wife got me on of those big duffles you can smuggle bodies in. Love that thing. Main area has gi, belt, a 3 ring binder with the pull outs from Tapout mag and some stuff I've collected from other magazines. Copy of Essence of Okinawan Karate-do, have to get my hardback copy back from a kung-fu guy I know. 3 or 4 rash guards, a spare Tshirt, fight shorts, compression shorts, standard jock and cup, the Shock Dr cup and shorts(I like my protection!). A heavy weight escrima stick, great for working your arms. In a smaller, pullout bag I've got my gloves and two sets of hand wraps. Oddly, the shorter set keeps getting used to wrap ankles and such until someone can finish class.

Side zipper has the MP3 player, mouth piece and my personal weirdness. Deoderant wipes. Got them as a side gift for Christmas or from my grandmother one. Don't recall which. But, in the gear bag they went for some reason. Used to carry a couple of unformed, adult sized mouth pieces still in the packs. Better than nothing for those folks that always forgot theirs.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Wife got me on of those big duffles you can smuggle bodies in. Love that thing. Main area has gi, belt, a 3 ring binder with the pull outs from Tapout mag and some stuff I've collected from other magazines. Copy of Essence of Okinawan Karate-do, have to get my hardback copy back from a kung-fu guy I know. 3 or 4 rash guards, a spare Tshirt, fight shorts, compression shorts, standard jock and cup, the Shock Dr cup and shorts(I like my protection!). A heavy weight escrima stick, great for working your arms. In a smaller, pullout bag I've got my gloves and two sets of hand wraps. Oddly, the shorter set keeps getting used to wrap ankles and such until someone can finish class.

Side zipper has the MP3 player, mouth piece and my personal weirdness. Deoderant wipes. Got them as a side gift for Christmas or from my grandmother one. Don't recall which. But, in the gear bag they went for some reason. Used to carry a couple of unformed, adult sized mouth pieces still in the packs. Better than nothing for those folks that always forgot theirs.

Yikes. How do you lug that around?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I consider getting that thing from the house to the truck and then into dojo part of the work out. :D

After Christmas I have added an extra thick Thai pad my wife bought me. Honestly, my "condensed Kit" is a day pack that is stuffed to the gills and runs about 15-20lbs. That one I use in the summer to run the 1 mile distance to the dojo.

At times, I wonder if I'm carrying too much gear. But, other than the rest of my weapons, a gi or two and my books, I carry about everything I own. I'm wondering how the head gear and shin guards I intend to order are going to fit though. I'm thinking bungi cords.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

In all seriousness my have to kit includes single weave judo gi, grappling shin pads, knee brace. I think I've still got my zipploc with atheletic tap, pre wrap, a few guaze pads. Just in case. A few rash guards and wrestling shoes. I my other bag I have 2 pair sprawl shorts, rash guard, Shock Dr flex cup and comp. shorts, 2 sets of hand wraps, 2 mouth pieces, gloves, note book and a copy of Eddie Bravos Mastering the Rubber Guard. And most importantly contact lens case and saline for the occasional knocked out contact.