• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

very dissapointed with a dan grading

I know that this thread is not about 10 year old black belts but I feel that I just have to say something here about this subject. TRUE=you can't compare age groups...a ten year old can not be expected to fight a 14 year old, or an 80 year old...and vice versa. The standards are the same yet different and a good instructor should be able to judge each student's strengths, weaknesses, desire, and fortitude....and devise a plan and goal for that student to reach Black Belt. Only we know our students....from beginning to end...through the tough times and the easy times...the good and the bad. We know their struggles and their triumphs, their pain and their glory.....regardless of their age we are there for them. TRUE=there are schools out there that hand out Black Belts like candy and degrade the standards of the rank for the sake of a buck.

That said...I am in the position to have an 7 year old take his Black Test test within the next 14 months! Granted, in my system, no one under 16 years old achieves a "full" Dan Grading but even a Junior Black Belt should be seen as quite an achievement. This student is not a typical 7 year old-besides being physically talented he is dedicated and works his butt off every day in class because he has a goal....Black Belt. As his instructor I contracted with him to help him achieve his goal and as long as he meets (or exceeds) the standards why should I stand in the way?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the two trees may be different, but you still dont pick the fruit of any of them until its ripe.

Now you use head for something other than target.

• 2 months later...

I started martial arts when I was 16 and I have stormed out of 6 schools before I found one that was good because they had 10 year o. the thing was it was in Japan. and I am not kidding. that is really what it took...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I'll go out on a limb here and post my views.

I think the examples here of 7 and 10 year old blackbelts are shocking.

In my style, the shodan grade can only be had after the student reaches the age of 18, and it usually takes about 7 years of consistent training. At first, you can grade three times a year, but very quickly you need half a year between grades and then a year. On top of this attending camps and tournaments (kyokushin semi-contact or knockdown) is required and your instructor has to give you permission to test.

When you have been 1 kyu for a year you are eligible for a nomination for shodan. Usually it takes longer and a trial period of a year follows with several stop-tests.

I don't think this is the only way to do it, but we are very much focused on the practical aspects of the art, and you cannot convince me that a 7 or 10 year old can fulfill these requirements. I realise that their form may be excellent, but it takes confidence, experience, technical skill, the ability to keep calm and defuse a dangerous situation and some reflection of your own character as well - qualities that I do not believe are present in children at that age.

I am not trying to pass judgment on your style or dojo, but I believe that promoting these children to BBs just because they are focused, cheapens the value of the rank and sets a bad example.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I'll go out on a limb here and post my views.

I think the examples here of 7 and 10 year old blackbelts are shocking.

In my style, the shodan grade can only be had after the student reaches the age of 18, and it usually takes about 7 years of consistent training. At first, you can grade three times a year, but very quickly you need half a year between grades and then a year. On top of this attending camps and tournaments (kyokushin semi-contact or knockdown) is required and your instructor has to give you permission to test.

When you have been 1 kyu for a year you are eligible for a nomination for shodan. Usually it takes longer and a trial period of a year follows with several stop-tests.

I don't think this is the only way to do it, but we are very much focused on the practical aspects of the art, and you cannot convince me that a 7 or 10 year old can fulfill these requirements. I realise that their form may be excellent, but it takes confidence, experience, technical skill, the ability to keep calm and defuse a dangerous situation and some reflection of your own character as well - qualities that I do not believe are present in children at that age.

I am not trying to pass judgment on your style or dojo, but I believe that promoting these children to BBs just because they are focused, cheapens the value of the rank and sets a bad example.

Finally!!! I totally agree.. that is how it here. and how it should be. I dont think they should give kids dan grades.. one would be because it would be giving them a false sense of security.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard