• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Experiences with Capoeira

Have any of you had encounters with it? I am curious because it definitely is made for display purposes sometimes, but I have found some people using it in cross fighting matches:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e67uap4ZEzE

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neither have I, but I found the use of it in MMA fascinating- very unique indeed.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I agree. I must admit, I wouldn't want to get hit with that kick. And with the way you duck your head to the ground, you're not likely to get countered with a punch to the head. My main worry would be attempting to use it on people that use the low line roundhouse as a kick counter. You may catch it in the head.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I always wanted to fight a good Capoeira artist. Like many styles, I can identify their natural weakness in the offense and defense. But I've always wondered if I'd be able to manipulate it or not. Capoeira is one of those styles.

I've never had any experience with them because I live in New York and there are no Capoeira schools in this state.

The kicking is quite powerful, and should prove useful in these types of matches. However, the deciding factor of the matches seems to be the ground fighting, which I assume is more BJJ than Capoeira

However, it does appear that the kicking concepts of Capoeira can be translated to these types of fights. You don't see the genga as dominant, but the ability for the fighters to switch feet is still seen. In the last fight, the low kick worked very well to take down the opponent, and set him up for the arm bar. Seeing the two styles work together is very cool.

ive done it for a little while, but i wasnt a fan of the schools style of teaching.

plus, its the kind of art that you need to have a high level of fitness before starting it.

Now you use head for something other than target.

It also takes more rythme and grace than I've got. :wink:

Overall it is a very interesting and unique style imho.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Capoeira shares roots in being a dance-fight-game developed by the Afro-Brazilian slaves in Brazil, hence its aesthetics. There was a time when the practice of Capoeira was outlawed by the Brazilian government (shortly after 1888 when Brazil abolished slavery) and the movement went underground (the Black/mestizo Brazilians constituted most of the practicioners at the time, so it was unseemly to the White/Euro-Brazilians who held most of the power).

It was during its underground phase that Capoeira was set upon by Brazil's criminal elements. In short, these elements turned Capoeria into dirty fighting. They used to conceal knives and/or razor blades and used them when an opportunity presented itself during execution of a technique. The fighting was so effective that the police couldn't combat it unarmed.

Thus, there's more to Capoeria than meets the eye.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

I have always liked this style but never had any experience with it. When i first saw it at a display a few years back i thought it looked a bit like dancing.

I couldn't do this i don't think, im not that flexible :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk