• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

PS3

Shotokan-kez

Hi everyone. Does anyone know anything about this games console. I have been a little silly and gone and bought one for my son for christmas without really knowing anything about it. :roll:

I know its a 40gb console, im still waiting for it to be delivered. Can we play our PS2 games on it? :-?

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm sure you'll get a more first hand opinion from someone else. But from what I remember, you can play all your PS2 game on PS3 (Just like you could play PS games on PS2).

All I know beyond that is that the graphics are supposedly near computer game graphics level and the 3D effects are a lot better. I haven't actually played on one yet.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Actually, that is changing *clears throat*. On the newer cheaper model they removed backwards compatibility, so you can't play PS2 games on it anymore. As for the console itself, there are some good and bad things about it

The good:

Blu-ray, although it isn't 'games' it is a much better deal then just buying a blue ray player by itself.

-Fairly good rate of not breaking down compared to the 360

- No region locking

--You can play the latest games

The bad:

-No rumble...although this will be corrected in the future.

- Playstation exclusivity is on the wane (one of the reasons why the PS2 was so great). I don't really feel like getting into the reasons right now but if you really wanted I could give a more detailed explanation later). In so many words though, this means that the reasons for owning a PS3 over an Xbox 360 are few. The only big exclusives that I can think of are 'Uncharted', and Final fantasy 13 and Metal Gear solid 4...the latter two won't be out until later though and MGS4 has long been rumored to eventually come out for the 360.

-Developer familiarity with the 360 leading to sometimes the PS3, although it is technically the most powerful of the systems, having more framerate issues etc.

=========

In the end, although I don't have any of the next gen consoles (the latest I have is a DS and a PS2), I usually recommend the 360 for price (unless you really want blu ray) and game library. Come to think of it- how old is your son? Do you know what kinds of games he likes?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for that info guys. I will just have to keep the ps2 and games. I am thinking that the main reason i made a mistake is because the games are sooooo expensive. My son wants the new simpsons game but the cheapest i have seen it is £35, the dearest is £45!!!!

That's going to be the same though on any next gen system- it's about 10 dollars more for the latest games (£5 roughly eh?) for about an average cost of £30 pounds using fuzzy currency conversion. The European gaming scene is especially rough though : P

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

well ill go the diplomatic route and say if u want the best system in terms of popularity and fun then the wii is the best way to go, out of all the systems its motion sensitivity iz wat makes the most fun. there sales are higher than any systems. Example: in november of last year both sony and nintendo release the PS3 and the wii on the same day. but they only released 400,000,and by noon of that day were out and couldnt get anymore to America till after the holiday. Nintendo on the other hand released. Wii's in japan first making it easy to send a steady supply to America.( somthing sony didnt do making it literaly impossible to get one after christmas)

Nintendo though not YET in HD. has a higher rate of Games having high ratings. unlike PS3 not to mention PS3 has almost no exclusive games, or very fun games. and the wii motion capabilities make it able to entertain the whole family. dude if u have to have a system by the wii

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

No, PS3 still does have exclusives- Rachet and Clank and Uncharted: Drakes fortune are the best of them and very highly rated. In fact, Wii games (outside of the very excellent and recently released Mario galaxy) have in general been getting very low scores, because so many developers are putting out low quality tiles with poor motion control because they know people will buy it just because it is for the wii. That isn't to say the the Wii is bad- but the motion controls for the most part have not been implemented well, and outside of first party nintendo games good software is scarce. If you wanted to go Nintendo, I'd highly recommend a Nintendo DS.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I would have liked to buy him a Wiii but i couldnt find one, everywhere had sold out, same with the xbox 360. The Wii does look like good family fun but we have always been for sony. :D My son has a nintendo ds and its a very good console.

Actually, that is changing *clears throat*. On the newer cheaper model they removed backwards compatibility, so you can't play PS2 games on it anymore.

Really??!!!

That blows. :evil:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.