• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will someone outline the different types of karate??

phi-long

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, that is the yeowman's task! Here is some information from Wikipedia:

Karate

Okinawan Martial Arts

Japanese Martial Arts

I hope these can get you started. This will be very general information for the most part, and I am sure some of the individual stylists on the Forums here will be able to offer you more specific information.

I suppose you can also name them like this

Classical Karate - the Okinawan styles - Goju Ryu Shuri-te etc

Traditional Karate - the Japanese Styles - Wado Ryu, Shotokan and Kyokushin etc

Freestyle (Olympic) Karate - those created in the last say 30 years not attached to any of the above in Syllabus or ethos

Modern Karate - A hybrid of Classical and Traditional mixed with other styles - examples are Ashihara and Enshin

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 10 months later...

(If I am wrong on any of this, please correct me. Because I may very well be wrong.) Well, to the best of my knowledge, there are two types of karate: Okinawan and Japanese. The Okinawan styles tend to be hard, and this includes Goju-Ryu, Shorin-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu, and Isshin-Ryu. The Japanese styles are softer than the above mentioned styles, with less harsh (right way to put it?) body conditioning, such as Shotokan, Wado-Ryu, and Shito-Ryu. Hope this helps.

All thoughts have consequences.

The styles that you have mentioned there is probably a good starting point as to identifying the major Karate branches.
Yeah, there might be sub-branches from these major ones, but I'm not too sure. Those are the major styles I can come up with.

All thoughts have consequences.

• 3 months later...
(If I am wrong on any of this, please correct me. Because I may very well be wrong.) Well, to the best of my knowledge, there are two types of karate: Okinawan and Japanese. The Okinawan styles tend to be hard, and this includes Goju-Ryu, Shorin-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu, and Isshin-Ryu. The Japanese styles are softer than the above mentioned styles, with less harsh (right way to put it?) body conditioning, such as Shotokan, Wado-Ryu, and Shito-Ryu. Hope this helps.

Go means hard, Ju means soft. Thus goju means hard and soft, combining the two styles in one. It grew from Naha-te.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!