• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rival martial arts

I was recently thinking on this topic and wondered what you guys thought. There are certain styles that just seem to have a constant...grudge match of sorts going on. Here's a list that I can think of:

Judo vs BJJ

Muay Thai vs Kyokushin Karate

Wing Chun vs all other spellings of the same art

Shaolin Monks vs Ninjas

can you think of any others? What do the 'rival' styles have to offer each other and how did the rivalries start? How has times favored these?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if TKD and Shotokan Karate are really rival arts, but I think the rivalry between the Japanese Martial Artists and the Korean Martial Artist is very real.

One I remembered from reading that ESPN article: Boxing and MMA. This rivalry is very real. Many MMA fighters are upset with comments that were made by Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

You already mentioned Ninja. But I would pit them against the classical Bushi of Japan.

Shotokan v. any Okinawan System

David Caradine's Kung Fu series always pitted Shaolin v Hung Gar, I believe

Kenjutsu v European Swordmanship

pesant arts vs. warrior arts

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Shotokan v. any Okinawan System ---> I don't think there will be much of a competition there.

I'm glad you think so. But many of my friends who specialize in pure Okinawan systems (Shorin Ryu, Shorei Ryu, Isshin Ryu) like to tell me how Shotokan is watered down, sold out for fame, an ineffectiver hybrid and so on.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I don't know if TKD and Shotokan Karate are really rival arts, but I think the rivalry between the Japanese Martial Artists and the Korean Martial Artist is very real.

Well put!

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

Please keep in mind that this thread does not exist to discuss whether or not one art is better than another (which we don't allow) - it is to point out arts that seem to rival each other and how that came to be, etc. Please stick to that. Thanks!

Patrick

From my experiences WTF Taekwondo vs. ITF Taekwondo vs. other Taekwondo seems to have quite a bit of rivalry. This is only from where I live and may be different elsewhere though.

A lot of rivalry tends to be down to politics more than anything else.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

From my experiences WTF Taekwondo vs. ITF Taekwondo vs. other Taekwondo seems to have quite a bit of rivalry. This is only from where I live and may be different elsewhere though.

A lot of rivalry tends to be down to politics more than anything else.

I agree here. There is such a rift between these two, and it is mostly politcally driven. I was going to mention this today, but you beat me to it! :P