• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate camps not in the summer?

NidaninNJ

Why are all the camps in the summer? Sometimes there are little 3-day mini-camps but they are usually small and just have one instructor. Why don't you ever hear about bigger camps in other times of the year? Oh. I'm in the US - I hear there are more camps in Europe and other places in other times of the year. Here in the US you never have camps except in the summer. If anyone hears of any good ones in north america - ideally Shotokan - please post info here. Ive got some vacation time saved up at work and would like to make use of it!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm guessing that the reason the camps are only in the summer is because that's when schools are out. These camps then give kids something to do for a week (or give the parents someone to babysit their kids for a week). And as you state, us adults that would have a desire to attend these camps would find ways to get this done like taking vacation or personal time from work.

Therefore, it makes sense from both a student base and finanicial perspectives to host these in the summer when the ability to draw from a larger pool of candidates is present.

You would have to schedule the camps during the holiday season to get draw, and most people are doing family stuff at that time.

Would be nice though.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I think many times the camps are held in outdoor areas as well, which would not be as much fun for most during winter. You also have the school conflicts, as mentioned eariler.

I think many times the camps are held in outdoor areas as well, which would not be as much fun for most during winter.

I think it'd be real fun training in the snow. Imagine it, sparring and you get hit with a roundhouse, you could counter with a snowball to the head. Breaks could be spent making snow angels :brow:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think many times the camps are held in outdoor areas as well, which would not be as much fun for most during winter.

I think it'd be real fun training in the snow. Imagine it, sparring and you get hit with a roundhouse, you could counter with a snowball to the head. Breaks could be spent making snow angels :brow:

Hehe, I am not so sure. :P I don't mind the cold, but I don't think training in the snow barefoot would be good for my health.

Just think, if you using snowballs in the techniques, you could develop your own winter katas.... downward block followed by snowball at the chin :D

Just think, if you using snowballs in the techniques, you could develop your own winter katas.... downward block followed by snowball at the chin :D

Haha, my luck would be front snap kick followed by falling down on the ice. :lol:

As soon as it snows this winter (and if), I'll be outside creating my new form set :D

Haha, my luck would be front snap kick followed by falling down on the ice. :lol:

Well there ya go then. Balance training. Learning how to hold yourself upright and not fall flat on your back when doing a sidekick. :P

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius