• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hand Gun vs Knife

dete

Handgun vs Knife, which do you choose & why?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Handgun vs Knife, which do you choose & why?

• Handgun (do you feel lucky punk?)
    • Knife (guns don't kill people I do)
    • Neither! (I gots somethin betta!) please explain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was guessing you meant to carry, and since I carry neither that's what I voted. But looking at some of the discussion, I can see why I'm the only one so far. :roll:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I think that if you are assuming that the knife is out of it's holder, then you have to also assume that the gun is.

maybe if they were equal but to me they are pretty different,

for example many knives have more of an advantage in concealment.

if we do it like you said, then it negates one the strongest "points" :D

of a knife doesn't it?

• 1 month later...

I'd rather carry a sidearm, because if they're too close for me to draw the gun, then chances are that I'm not going to be able to draw the knife, though I do like knives immensly. If they're that close then I'm just try to do my best w/o a weapon.

"Be Water my friend."

"The spirit of defeating a man is the same for ten million men." Miyamoto Mushahi

I'd rather carry a sidearm, because if they're too close for me to draw the gun, then chances are that I'm not going to be able to draw the knife, though I do like knives immensly. If they're that close then I'm just try to do my best w/o a weapon.

Very good points here. When you are too close, the first thing you have to do is create distance to help yourself out.

depends if the knife is like the one from punisher... hes on the floor with his knife ready, dude standing with gun pointed at him saying something about bringing a knife to a gun fight, and he pushes a button to fire the blade into the dudes neck...

I'd go with a gun, don't know where to get one of those knives...

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Why does it have to be only one? I regularly carry a gun and a knife at the same time. I train for both. I can draw a concealed firearm fairly quickly, but that doesn't mean I should be focused on it.

There was a training video a while back that showed police recruits in a force-on-force training exercise where they were faced with a knife wielding assailant. The assailant was not to fall, regardless of how many times the recruit shot him with paint bullets. The video showed many recruits attempting a reload when the assailant was already at arm's length and beginning to strike them.

What had happened is the recruits were so focused on having the gun they forgot all other tools, including their hands, to use at a close distance.

If you're going to carry a gun you have to train with it as a tool, not as an end all. I've seen plenty of gun shots and gun fights where the gun isn't the end-all of the fight. Just because you shoot someone once, twice, even three or more times, doesn't mean that person is out of the fight.

You, of course, should have the same mentality. Just because you've been shot once, twice, or even three times doesn't put you out of the fight.

Carry a gun and a knife. If you carry gun do you carry a spare magazine or ammunition? Have you trained in performing stress reloads? If you have 5-10 rounds, how many are going to hit a moving, attacking target? Are those rounds going to guarantee a drop? If he's in range to attack you and you still draw and fire, more than likely he'll still be charging and striking.

If you only carry the ammunition in the firearm without a spare what do you do when you run out of ammunition? Do you carry a knife? Can you get to it quickly if your firearm now becomes a decorated paperweight?

Like I said, I carry both. I understand the limitations of the handgun. I also understand the limitations of the knife.

Ultimately your hands are you best choice because they control both the gun and the knife, and your chances for survival when you lose your gun or drop your knife.

Remember, even with a gun, drawing and firing as quickly as possible even from a distance as little as 3 yrds can result in missing your target.

Combat stress raises the heart rate which causes several known effects. tunnel vision, audio exclusion, loss of fine motor skills. Reaching condition black can render your gun, your knife, your training useless and reduce you to a grunting primate.

It's fatal to believe only because you carry a gun you will be victorious in both the combat and the intimidation. If that were the case far less law enforcement officers would die in the line of duty against assailants who know better than the average citizen the limitations of the handgun.

The same for a knife.

The body can go through immense trauma and still fight well. It's the mind that controls the body. How well do you control your mind?

Since this is a discussion involving deadly weapons. Have you fully considered what combat with these weapons is like? The blood, the flesh, the pain, the noise, the smells? Are you prepared to do more than merely threaten the use of deadly force? Drawing a gun or knife is threatening use of deadly force, are you prepared to employ it in your defense?

There is more behind the combat than the simple declaration I choose a gun for intimidation or for distance. Or I choose a knife for concealment and close quarters.

I recommend all martial artists read "On Combat" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

I certainly don't want to discourage fellow martial artists who have chosen the path of personal responsibility in self-defense. But, in such a discussion of deadly force I must at least share my opinion.

My .02 cents.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein