• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata, after Kata, after Kata

Shotokan-kez

bearich is right on the money. "Breathing Timing" means that your breathing matches "All" body movements in Kata from start to finish (and I can't stress enough about the word "ALL").

Ask yourself as to "why do you get tired?" It's solely a lack of oxygen to the Blood, brain, muscles, etc. How do you get oxygen into the blood? "Breathing." So what does "Breathing Timing" really mean? When you exhale your muscles naturally contract. When you inhale your muscles naturally relax. So when doing "each" movement in Kata, from start to finish, all these movements should match the timing as described above, and with correct breathing timing you are also allowing Vital Oxygen into your blood stream. Result is Maximum/Appropriate speed, control and power on techniques, and you won't get tired in the process. Now this is not to say that you won't get sore from undeveloped muscles producing lactic acid..., but you won't be tired.

How do you train for this concept? By working on each Kata 3 or 4 times very slowly with correct technique and breathing (meaning with not only correct technique, but correct Breathing Timing for each technique). On the 4th or 5th time doing the Kata, then you do it at full speed with the only focus as being correct Breathing Timing. An amazing by-product of training this way is that you find out that the technique is naturally correct due to correct breathing timing.

So you can see that it truly takes a "long time" to properly learn each Kata with the correct breathing timing application to where you don't get tired by doing continual Kata. This concept also applies to Kumite as well. You train this way long enough, it becomes so natural that you don't even think about it. Watch some of the Kata and Kumite greats and see how relaxed, powerful, fast and rested they are when they perform. This is Breathing Timing at its best...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with killer to a certain extent he is correct in the fact that if your breathing is correct when you are performing the movements not only will you find that your technique is better but you will find that you get less tired. I disagree with the fact that he said you will not be tired, because you will be. I dont think there is anyone that would be able to do that amount of physical exercise and not be out of breath. But the breathing will make this less off an issue as you will be aerobically respriating instead of anerobically where you have to 'catch up' at the end in your breathing.

I think all you can do is work on your stamina also you may actually be trying too hard if you tense up you will find that you get tired a lot faster than if you are relaxed when doing your movements. However im sure as a dan grade you know this so its probably not an issue but something to be aware of just in case.

I think for kata stamina you just have to practice the sequence of all the kata over and over to build up your stamina.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I think you should be tired at the end of all the katas, especially if you are putting a good amount of power in it.

Its fun!

I don't quite agree with this statement. You can generate a good amount of force throughout a kata without getting tired after every one. The key is to relax your body until the last moment before impact, relaxing those muscles until the next move, and utilizing the proper "breathing timing" as Killer Mike refers to it.

I work on controling my breathing when doing forms all the time, but I still find myself winded after a hard forms workout. I think that you will be at least a bit tired after putting all you have into a form.

This all makes sense. At the end of the lesson we kneel at the front and close our eyes and breath and it really relaxes you. It's just more difficult doing it when you are actually training rather than when you are still. Take Hangetsu the movements in that are awesome, fast slow breathing ect and it is very hard to get it all right.

The slow and fast parts of Kata i don't have a problem with, it is the breathing which you have all adviced on. I just don't seem to think about the breathing, so hopwfully if i take all ur advice it will eventually come naturally. :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I work on controling my breathing when doing forms all the time, but I still find myself winded after a hard forms workout. I think that you will be at least a bit tired after putting all you have into a form.

Agreed. A good kata workout, even will proper and controlled breathing, will make you a little winded as you are exerting your body in small bursts at a time over an extended period of time. But I certainly don't think you should be fatigued/tired after every since one (i.e.--you only do one and you're tired).

Ahh, nothing like doing forms marathons huh?

I remember when I realized that I always seemed to be tired after doing Jion... That was when I realized that I didn't breathe much while I was doing my forms. Breathing is a huge help in being able to do forms time after time.

Although I have yet to be able to not be tired after putting a massive amount of intensity, focus, deep stances, and power into a form... Just need to relax more and train harder!

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker

Agreed. A good kata workout, even will proper and controlled breathing, will make you a little winded as you are exerting your body in small bursts at a time over an extended period of time. But I certainly don't think you should be fatigued/tired after every since one (i.e.--you only do one and you're tired).

I see. However, even after one, I am winded. I recover fairly quickly, though.

I think you should be tired at the end of all the katas, especially if you are putting a good amount of power in it.

Its fun!

I don't quite agree with this statement. You can generate a good amount of force throughout a kata without getting tired after every one. The key is to relax your body until the last moment before impact, relaxing those muscles until the next move, and utilizing the proper "breathing timing" as Killer Mike refers to it.

Sounds like something I hear all the time in class. "RELAX"

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky