• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2nd Dan Exam..What was yours like?

my test was about two-two and a half hours. first came line drills, then about twenty open handed and weapon forms. then came self defense, then self defesne against a knife, then regular one steps, then came pyung ahn one steps, then fighting, then stamina drills, the board breaking, the terminology/history/philosophy grading. it was BRUTAL!

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my test was about two-two and a half hours. first came line drills, then about twenty open handed and weapon forms. then came self defense, then self defesne against a knife, then regular one steps, then came pyung ahn one steps, then fighting, then stamina drills, the board breaking, the terminology/history/philosophy grading. it was BRUTAL!

Hi NewEnglands_KyoSa,

What are "pyung ahn one steps"? Are they a type of pre-arranged sparing, and if so how were they different to your regular one steps?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Hi Zanshin,

pyung ahn one steps are derived from our five Pyung Ahn Forms(or hyungs). they are actually pieces of the form put together in the form of one steps that simulate a piece of the fight thats going on in the form. the attacker and defender are both active, this means, the attacker does not just throw a face punch. and we have nine of them(18 parts). so yes i supposed you could call it pre arranged sparring but, it comes from those five forms.

Hi Zanshin,

pyung ahn one steps are derived from our five Pyung Ahn Forms(or hyungs). they are actually pieces of the form put together in the form of one steps that simulate a piece of the fight thats going on in the form. the attacker and defender are both active, this means, the attacker does not just throw a face punch. and we have nine of them(18 parts). so yes i supposed you could call it pre arranged sparring but, it comes from those five forms.

Ah, that's kind of cool. Like bunkai almost, right?

Hi Zanshin,

yes, just like bunkai except its not the whole form, its just a piece.

Hi Zanshin,

Thanks guys,

Question then, do you take the techniques found in the Pyung Ahns and apply them in any other way outside of the "one steps".

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

Hi Zanshin,

Thanks guys,

Question then, do you take the techniques found in the Pyung Ahns and apply them in any other way outside of the "one steps".

uhm yes and no. you find that you might use some of the techniques when doing knife self defense, or hand to hand self defense, or sword self defense, only because you make these up on your own. so are they in anything else in the textbook? not that i can think of. but you might use them in self defense applications.

Hi Zanshin,

Thanks guys,

uhm yes and no. you find that you might use some of the techniques when doing knife self defense, or hand to hand self defense, or sword self defense, only because you make these up on your own. so are they in anything else in the textbook? not that i can think of. but you might use them in self defense applications.

I see thanks for explaining.

It sounds very similar to something we have in Wado called "Ohyo" Kumite. They are a set of paired techniques that are designed for the student to learn the principles behind the techniques found in Kata.

Hi Zanshin,

Thanks guys,

I see thanks for explaining.

It sounds very similar to something we have in Wado called "Ohyo" Kumite. They are a set of paired techniques that are designed for the student to learn the principles behind the techniques found in Kata.

yea those sound like a mirror image of ours.

• 9 months later...

From start to finish mine began in the early morning and ended in early afternoon. No breaks for water, bathroom or snacks. We were tested on advanced forms than what we did for first, advanced self defense techniques, sparring one on one and then sparring two on one; one steps and knife defense was also included, a board breaking section that had to incorporate 3 different techniques...and a few other things.

All in all it was an exhausting day but at the end of it all, you definitely felt "accomplished".

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert