• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hook kick

I prefer the Taekyyon-style hook kick, which is to say the hip flexor is rotated horizontally over a wide arc and the leg and foot connect to the target that way. Spinning hook kick or back roundhouse is executed the same way-leg straight, hip flexor rotates in a wide horizontal arc-except the body rotates around first and then the hip and leg go.
This is how I teach/explain it: start by doing a side kick, but instead of coming straight off the hip, you kick at a 45 degree angle, then, you rechamber it like a round kick, and I pull the heel of my kicking foot all the way back to my butt. I also make sure to drive the heel through the target, and finish with an exaggerated round kick rechamber motion.

I prefer to utilize Bushido's style of kick for offensive use. That is, to attack the sides of the head, flanks, & ribs. However, I utilize youngman's version when defending. Meaning the following: I time the opponent's lunging techniques, give a slight side step and deliver the kick to the back of the opponent's head.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your stance is the same as ours (shoulders square, back leg straight and in line with torso), then no. I can't think of when you would need to. :-?

PSBN Doug, the stance you describe is what I was talking about, and I can't think of any use for practicing a hook kick from that stance either.

Ed

Ed

I've done both front leg and back leg hook kicks from a fighting stance, not front stance. From front stance it would be impractical, since you'd have to shift both stance and position to make it effective, and it could be seen coming from a mile away... telegraph city anyone?

what goes around, comes around

I use bushido_man's method for hook kicks. I have always, in class, executed hook kicks from a fighting stance. However, I trained with a guy for a short while and we executed hook kicks from a front stance (choon gul jaseh). It was incredibly awkward. Anyone else ever done a hook kick from a front stance?

Ed

Boy, that does sound odd. I don't think I could pull that off. You would have to have some funky hip flexibility and strength to do it, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

the way I do them is to start of doing a front kick keeping the hips square on then twisting the hips to turn it into a hook kick... I think I'm doing it wrong though as so many people do them differently on here...:S

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

the way I do them is to start of doing a front kick keeping the hips square on then twisting the hips to turn it into a hook kick... I think I'm doing it wrong though as so many people do them differently on here...:S

If that's how you were trained to do it, then it's not wrong. If not, you could ask your instructor for more instruction.

I use bushido_man's method for hook kicks. I have always, in class, executed hook kicks from a fighting stance. However, I trained with a guy for a short while and we executed hook kicks from a front stance (choon gul jaseh). It was incredibly awkward. Anyone else ever done a hook kick from a front stance?

Ed

I suppose you could do it this way. But it seems like it would take a very large sweeping turn. Unless you masked the move with a leg check or some other kick, I think it would be overly telegraphed.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I prefer the Taekyyon-style hook kick, which is to say the hip flexor is rotated horizontally over a wide arc and the leg and foot connect to the target that way. Spinning hook kick or back roundhouse is executed the same way-leg straight, hip flexor rotates in a wide horizontal arc-except the body rotates around first and then the hip and leg go.
This is how I teach/explain it: start by doing a side kick, but instead of coming straight off the hip, you kick at a 45 degree angle, then, you rechamber it like a round kick, and I pull the heel of my kicking foot all the way back to my butt. I also make sure to drive the heel through the target, and finish with an exaggerated round kick rechamber motion.

I prefer to utilize Bushido's style of kick for offensive use. That is, to attack the sides of the head, flanks, & ribs. However, I utilize youngman's version when defending. Meaning the following: I time the opponent's lunging techniques, give a slight side step and deliver the kick to the back of the opponent's head.

What YoungMan describes sounds to me like what I refer to as a Heel Kick, more of a straight-legged kick with lots of momentum. It is a good counter kick, but not so much for an offensive kick. As a counter kick, I do it as a spinning techique. You get a lot of torque out of the kick, but it is usually a big, swinging machine that can be seen coming.

That doesn't sound too far off, if you are talking about a back leg hook kick. I would bring the back leg forward, like a front kick, and then pivot around to a side kick type of chamber, side facing the body, and then executing the hook kick.

Hope that makes sense.

• 8 months later...

Hope that helps, and isn't too confusing. Pictures would help, but I don't know if I can do anything like that.

that is EXACTLY how I do it.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

With bushido man and others here. Bringing the heel back from a side is how I've always been taught.

See guys, I do kick occassially :) .

It's a weapon prpimarily used from a more side facing posture, I would think that there are better optionss form a frontal posture.