• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My new form is Yoo Sin hyung. I know all of it, but am having some problems with some sections. Does anyone have any input on this form, and could perhaps help me out?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My new form is Yoo Sin hyung. I know all of it, but am having some problems with some sections. Does anyone have any input on this form, and could perhaps help me out?

From looking at the form, it looks very derivative of Bassai/Pinan's, which make sense... Since all the techniques come from the standard vocabulary, and problems will by magnified. I would work on each technique individually for a while before grouping the sequences....

What sections are giving you the most trouble?

I have been working on the section with the waving kicks that correspond with the outside/inside blocks from the support-hand position, and the section where I do the inside crescent kicks, slapping the hand, and then going directly into the side kick without setting the foot down. For this second section, I am working on getting my leg around from the crescent, and keeping the knee high for the side kick. I am also working on the pivot to get into position. I don't feel like I am getting good extension on the crescent kicks, either.

Not learnt Yoo Sin myself but I spent a few months in class listening to other people being taught it. Keeping the knee high after the crescent kick seems to be the key to doing the side kick. It was really stressed that you should worry about keeping the knee up as you come around and during the crescent kick. With regards to extending the leg, you should be only extending as far as your hand is out... so if you have short arms, your kick will be close and vice-versa. As I said earlier though, I haven't been taught this yet myself, just had to sit through a few months of it being taught in class.

A good person to watch is Jaroslaw Suska (V dan). He is really clean with his technique and watching his videos helped me a lot to learn my current forms:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B9UWtQ7IcCw

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks for the link, DWx. He does the form a LOT differently than we do it in our school, but I think I can take something away from that.

I noticed that he finished the crescent kick with his body to the front, and then pivoted to the side to do the side kick. I may have to try that approach, as I was bringing my body all the way to the side with the crescent, and then doing the side kick.

Thanks again! :karate:

Thanks for the link, DWx. He does the form a LOT differently than we do it in our school, but I think I can take something away from that.

A lot differently? What other differences (apart from the use of sine wave) are there?

Suska is very good with his legs especially, I think somewhere there is a video of him teaching how to do multiple kicks? May help you.

Keep working hard it though, I'm sure it'll come after a while. :)

A lot differently? What other differences (apart from the use of sine wave) are there?

The sine wave is the main thing. We also link our moves together into combinations a lot more, as opposed to doing what appeared to be a bunch of individual techniques. It doesn't take me near that long to get through that form. Also, our two-handed techniques, like the twin upset punches and the twin head punches, come from the ribs, as opposed to the large circular motions that he made.

I'll have to check out some of his other videos.

We also link our moves together into combinations a lot more, as opposed to doing what appeared to be a bunch of individual techniques. It doesn't take me near that long to get through that form.

I think that might be down to personal choice for him, in all his videos he likes to sort of show off each move, even if you look at his Po-Eun its much slower than most people do it. Makes it a good learning tool though, you can actually see the moves :)

Also, our two-handed techniques, like the twin upset punches and the twin head punches, come from the ribs, as opposed to the large circular motions that he made.

My twin upset is more like you described but I do do my twin head from higher up, although not with the big circular action. It just depends on the school I guess.

I'll have to check out some of his other videos.

I've always found these two in particular impressive:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QshNcVz4ugI

The sheer control he has over his legs is amazing!

Spectacular! Very, very nice! That is some cool stuff. His leg strength must be amazing.

One thing I did notice, though. It is all with his right leg. I didn't see one thing done with his left leg...other than stand on it. Still impressive.

Spectacular! Very, very nice! That is some cool stuff. His leg strength must be amazing.

One thing I did notice, though. It is all with his right leg. I didn't see one thing done with his left leg...other than stand on it. Still impressive.

Yeah, you're right, he should try and do more equal work out on both legs to be completely perfect, uhh..even though I'm probably not as good as him, I do try and keep both legs even.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee