• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt Testing Traditions

Our Dan gradings are always very open,

For all of the reasons mentioned above, but also because spectators are effectively "witnesses" to the standards of the candidates that are passed or failed.

This works well, not only to provide future candidates with an idea of the standards that are expected of them, but also to ensure that standard of the test itself will hold up to external scrutiny (ie national and international level comparison).

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are allowed friends and family for support, i was watched by loads of people on my black belt grading and the sound of them clapping and cheering when i got a pass was fantastic. We are allowed camera's and videos but no flashe's/

I'm not sure why, maybe one of u guys could answer this. If a student is taking a 3rd dan or above no-one is allowed in the room?

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Our third dan testings were open to everyone to attend, and it is encouraged, not only to support those testing, but to see what could potentially be in your own martial arts future. It is especially a treat to see something like a third dan testing, as they are not a frequent event.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

...It is especially a treat to see something like a third dan testing, as they are not a frequent event.

Agreed. And anything above is even better...

I'm not sure why, maybe one of u guys could answer this. If a student is taking a 3rd dan or above no-one is allowed in the room?

Of course this varies from dojo to dojo, but probably because at that level most non-martial artists can't stand the sight of that much blood all at once.

:brow:

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

...It is especially a treat to see something like a third dan testing, as they are not a frequent event.

Agreed. And anything above is even better...

I'll be starting that in about another year. :( :(

:lol:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Of course this varies from dojo to dojo, but probably because at that level most non-martial artists can't stand the sight of that much blood all at once.

Hahaha, at my instructors 3rd Degree Test he had to explain he favorite technique in detail to the panel. When got a to a point he said something along the lines of "and here you break the elbow." Master Lawrence came up to him after the test and told him "We don't say 'break or snap' it's 'hyper-extend!'"

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker

:lol: :lol:

In the organization I belong to, BB tests are usually open. The exception is for senor instructors (school owners) & masters. Those are closed to the public. The reasoning is the expectation on them is higher than it is for students. If a senior instructor struggles under the stress (& there is more stress for senior instructor tests) they do so in the company of other senior instructors.

I wasn't sure it was a good idea until I went through it myself. It was appropriatly challenging (without being overly harsh) & a worthwile experience.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Hah funny you should say that...it was the fighting part we wasn't allowed to watch :lol:

Their Kata's were awesome. One guy grading for his third dan was lucky cos sensei allowed him 3 chances because he kept kia'ing in the wrong place, bless him he was shattered after that. :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk