• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stretching Machines???

I'm just curious who uses a stretching machine or not. if you use it do you recommend it or is it just another piece of equipt. that will collect dust? The reason I ask if I'm opening a school and I already have most of the equpt. I need and I'm debating about buying one. I'll prob. wait till I open before buying anything else but I want to see what everyone thinks on the topic.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have heard from some people that stretch machines, although they work, are not worth the money because supposedly there is nothing they can do that you can't normally do on a hard flat gym floor. Also, some people may misuse these machines and force-stretch themselves which ends up in damaged ligaments or muscles. Some people also say that it takes the weight off your legs from the torso so isometric stretching or PNF stretching on these machines is not possible or effective. Either way tho, I don't think it should hurt if the people who use it are just using it for relaxed stretching and don't overdo it (i.e. know when to quit, are patient, etc.). :smile: :smile: My old kung fu kwoon had a stretching machine and when I first started out I was that usual enthusiastic beginner so I force-stretched my way all the way out into the splits and I had trouble walking and I was in pain for about a week. Needless to say, it did more harm than good. :razz:

Power can accomplish a lot of things. But no amount of power can force another soul to return your love.

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-06-03 22:47 ]

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

Well I have never used a stretching machine, or had access to one. I achieved full splits gradually over time using traditional stretching methods on the floor and against the wall.

I can really see Spinniggumbys point about beginners getting over enthusiastic about going to far too fast with one. For some reason many seem to think that doing splits is a necessity in karate.

That is a most definite no! A complete waste of money, time and training method(s). That shows your ignorance on the subject of stretching and is the reason I left my last dojo; due to a misinformed instructor when it concerned stretching. A much better investment would be stretching scientifically by Thomas M.Kurtz, only $40 AUD I think.

This is the only thing you need to know when it comes to stretching, I'll find the link for you because it's a very good book..

http://www.stadion.com/stretch.html

You may want to consider buying it through amazon.com of your book store, if they can order it in for you. Probably the most valuable book my shelf concerned with MA training.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

I would not buy one.

Something that is much better and much cheaper and these large rubber bands. We get them at colleges durring football camps and stuff.

Basically its a big rubber band that you stretch with. You hook it arround your feet and stuff. It give you a great streach I have not used it much but my brother who is at WVU now playing football swears by it. I tend to do it the old fashion way.

However this would be great for Senior Citizen type students.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Bon speaks the gospel!

If you don't feel like buying the book then follow this link. It is a series of 20 articles by the same author (Thomas M.Kurtz) that appeared in TaeKwonDo Times magazine. I believe most of his stretching principles/exercises are contained in these articles. Just follow the links at the top and bottom of the pages to navigate forward and back.

DON'T Buy a stretching machine!

http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch1.html

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

I recently bought that book and am waiting for it. I personally don't need the stretching machine. I've used one a few times and wasn't very impressed. I was just curious if people used them and figured if it would benefit my students then I would buy one. Looks like they won't so there is no need to buy one thanks to you guys.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Stretching machines can be useful (mainly in a gym under strict supervision) but as people have said, they don't give you anything that you can't get from a good stretch anyway. On top of that you get the whole macho 'Look how good my splits are *snap, scream*'

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Quote: *snap, scream*'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of my most painful injuries occured when I was showing off.

"It is not enough to aim, you must hit."

-Italian Proverb

[ This Message was edited by: Ti-Kwon-Leap on 2002-06-04 13:20 ]

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

I can also agree that the book previously mentioned is really good and there are some great web sites also which i think have been mentioned above.

Like said before stretching comes down to time and commitment. However a stretching machine has got to help.

I wish i'd had a stretching machine to help me stretch especially one which supports your knees. So many stretches are bad for your knees!!!!! PNF, ISOMETRIC :eek: :eek: The worst things you'll ever do to your knees. Mind you they do make you flexi.

Bretty