• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Run or fight

I think if there is more than one and they are built run, but if theres only 1 take your chances and fight, unless he has a weapon

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if there is more than one and they are built run, but if theres only 1 take your chances and fight, unless he has a weapon

I'm going to have to disagree with you.

If you're outnumbered, you're going to be at a severe disadvantage, regardless if the opposition is built or not. All it takes is one blindside shot, regardless of how effective it is, to throw you off and create a moment of weakness.

Also, even if there is only one, you should find away to avoid the fight. Just because it's only one guy doesn't mean you should take unneccessary risks. What if that one guy has a knife hidden that you can't see before the fight starts? What if that one guy has a buddy around the corner? What if that one guy is better than you? What if that one guy get a lucky shot in and breaks your jaw? What if. . . .

Always try and remove yourself from the situation and defend yourself only when absolutely neccessary.

Maybe it's because of where I live (Montana, USA) and the way we think up here (bravery, honesty, integrity, honor, chivalry, facing your fears, etc), but the thought of running from a fight just sort of turns my stomach and brings up pictures in my head of cowardice, fear and being a wimp. Part of it my be my generation also (I'll be 55 next month) and we were raised to be men and to face our adversaries head on, rather than running away like cowards.

Everybody trains in the martial arts for different reasons, and the various ares (karate, TKD, kungfu, mma, etc) have different goals and ways of looking at things, but I train to defend myself against and person or persons if attacked. Sure, given the opportunity, I'd much prefer to walk away from a fight, talk my way out of it..whatever it takes to avoid a fight...but I'll be d**ned if I'll run. I'd rather take a chance at getting my butt kicked than to look at myself in the mirror the rest of my life and know that I'm a coward.

Everybody's going to do what they think is best for them...run, or fight. Personally, I'll take fight.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Maybe it's because of where I live (Montana, USA) and the way we think up here (bravery, honesty, integrity, honor, chivalry, facing your fears, etc), but the thought of running from a fight just sort of turns my stomach and brings up pictures in my head of cowardice, fear and being a wimp. Part of it my be my generation also (I'll be 55 next month) and we were raised to be men and to face our adversaries head on, rather than running away like cowards.

Everybody trains in the martial arts for different reasons, and the various ares (karate, TKD, kungfu, mma, etc) have different goals and ways of looking at things, but I train to defend myself against and person or persons if attacked. Sure, given the opportunity, I'd much prefer to walk away from a fight, talk my way out of it..whatever it takes to avoid a fight...but I'll be d**ned if I'll run. I'd rather take a chance at getting my butt kicked than to look at myself in the mirror the rest of my life and know that I'm a coward.

Everybody's going to do what they think is best for them...run, or fight. Personally, I'll take fight.

“He who fights and runs away, may live to fight another day.” -Oliver Goldsmith.

Retreat is a viable tactic in warfare and combat...has always been and always will be. Sometimes you have to know when you are out gunned and overpowered. Mind, I am not advocating running away from your troubles, far from it. Even if I was outnumbered 10-1, I would fight to protect those close to me knowing that I would probably die. However, if a bunch of drunk guys want to brawl and I can't talk them out of it, I am willing to hurt them as much as I can until I have an opening to escape, but I am not going to stick around to the bitter end. To put it another way, I would say that you shouldn't be a coward, but you also shouldn't be rash. This is very much how my old friend and mentor, Aristotle viewed it (all my professors are pretty old). In Aristotle's view, all virtues are a median between extremes- for example, starving yourself is bad, but so is gluttony. Likewise, a warrior who runs at the first sign of battle is worthless, but the warrior who charges headlong without thinking and gets into a fight at the drop of a hat is going to have a short lifespan.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

but if theres only 1 take your chances and fight, unless he has a weapon

All it takes is one of his friends to walk around the corner or step out of the crowd and a reach to the pocket for that knife or grabbing a chair for it to go from an unarmed 1 on 1 encounter to a multiple opponent weapon situation.

Has you mention, everyone will do what they see to be best. If survival is your primary concern, which is should be in a self defense situation, then doing whatever it takes to get home is the best thing to do. Weather its running or fighting.

You only have to take a look at the news to see the countless stories of a fight were one person gets hit, cracks their head on the fall and ends up dead. It only takes that one shot and its all over.

Where is the honour and chivalry in sticking around to fight and ending up in a coffin, when you had the chance to run and go home safe to your family?

Has you mention, everyone will do what they see to be best. If survival is your primary concern, which is should be in a self defense situation, then doing whatever it takes to get home is the best thing to do. Weather its running or fighting.

You only have to take a look at the news to see the countless stories of a fight were one person gets hit, cracks their head on the fall and ends up dead. It only takes that one shot and its all over.

Where is the honour and chivalry in sticking around to fight and ending up in a coffin, when you had the chance to run and go home safe to your family?

You both have portrayed your points well. Montana, I can see what you are saying, but the scenario I think of in your post is two guys bellying up, chest to chest, understanding that they will fight each other one on one. On the other hand, is Cross and NightOwl's scenario, where one is attacked more unexpectedly, and must react to get away from a situation they know little about.

There is a difference between the goals of fighting and surviving. You can fight to survive, but you can also run to survive.

• 4 weeks later...

I think i would probably try to get away rather than fight, i am a big wimp and i don't i would react very well in a situation like that. :D

It was a good idea to go into a nearest shop to call the police ect. Obviously there are occasions when you do need to fight..but i personally prefere not to. I think it takes a lot of bravery to walk away, it's not cowardice at all. :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Walking or running away really isn't a bad thing, and it is not about cowardice.

It's about being above resorting to combat (unless you have to).

When you have walked away, if you are a confident, capable and dedicated martial artist, it is easy to think that you should have 'taught them a lesson'.

It does cross your mind, but you need to rise above it, as they could have had a knife or other weapon that may have been unexpected.

Also it does help to avoid the deep feeling of shame and or guilt that comes with actually having to use your technique, when you coud have escaped.

Especially if the technique was too strong for the aggressor to survive.

This is not to say to always run, sometimes using your martial prowess is necessary.