• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever had an instructor leave?

Have you ever had an instructor leave your dojo to open a new school?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had an instructor leave your dojo to open a new school?

• Yes, and I did follow him to the new school
    • Yes, but I stayed at my current school
    • Has never happened to me

How many others of you have had an instructor leave to open a new school? And if you have, please tell whether you followed your instructor or not, or anything you would like. (This is in relevance to my other post 'Instructor Leave'.)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had instructors leave before. Most of the time they were going out of the state. So even if i wanted to go with them(never wanted to go. I was sorry to see them leave still) I could not of gone.

Raphael

How about the Owner/Head Instructor selling the school to his hightest rank student, then start teaching in his garage taking some of the students with him? :P

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I have never had an instructor leave to start another school. However, I have had some leave to pursue other endeavors, such as careers, etc., so I voted no.

I didn't vote. My sensei moved 2,000 miles away and as far as I ever heard, gave up the arts except to teach his children.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

During my TKD years....went to the school at a huge rec center, then it merged with another school and the ranking system was changed, then they left and we reverted to the old system and training style, then the exercise center closed down and I followed one of the instructors to a new place, then THAT place shut down and I found my old instructor, then the location changed AGAIN, and after training there for awhile I can to my own personal realization and quit martial arts for a long time....I recently stopped by to see if it was there, but I couldn't find it. There are TKD gyms EVERYWHERE though around here, so it might have merged again...

EDIT: Man! I really had a scarred martial childhood

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I think you have to weigh up what's more important to you; the instructor as an individual or the school / association.

I would always go with what gives you more opportunities as a student.

I lost a truly talented instructor (who taught me from the ground up) to another association, and the decision to stay behind tore me in two.

In the end I stayed with the association I was with, as I felt that the depth of knowledge and access to other instructors / courses / competitions was far more advantageous.

Over twenty years later, I am still training and as far as I know the instructor in question gave up long ago.

That’s just my experience and circumstances though, yours may be very different.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

We've had Instructors, myself included, leave teaching to pursue other endeavors (job, school, relocation etc.). We've also had one instructor and his wife "retire" from the organization and teach on their own. We've never had an Instructor leave to teach in direct competition to us.

Realize, by leaving to teach your own class, you'd be cutting your own throat so to speak. You'd never get recommended to test, and all your students would get cut as well. Aside from the fact that none of your former colleagues would help you. Seems like a pretty high price to pay to show your independence.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.