• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructor leave

Ok, so last night after my class, my sempai told us about how he was going to be leaving us. It turns out that him and his instructor are going to be opening up their own school, and are going to break away from our current one. Well at first I was obviously disheartened by this. I have been training with both him and his instructor for just about a year now, and even though this may not be as long as some of you others have been training with your instructors, it is still a long enough time for me. They want to break away because they don't like how some of the other dojo's our school has are being ran. However, after being upset, I realized his new location would be close enough for me to still possibly train with them! So I will have to wait until January to train again with them, which is when their own school will be opening, but it'll be well worth the wait. So we will see how things progress. He promised to keep in touch and keep me updated on the opening of his new school.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you can follow him, and would like to because of the way he teaches or the experiences you have in his classes, then I think that is the way to go. It sounds to me like they are trying to break away from some political issues. This happens often in the Martial Arts, so don't be too shocked by it. When something of this nature occurs, you have to follow your heart.

If he is good then go and train with him.

Think of yourself though. It’s always good to be a bit selfish when it comes to your MA training.

Consider the opportunities that you have with your current association (access to courses with quality instructors, competitions and grading opportunities etc.) and whether that will improve if you move clubs / associations.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure he isn't backstabbing his current instructor... leaving on bad terms and deliberately competing for students in the same area.

Not a good sign. If he is behaving less than honourably then how can you trust him with your training?

IMO Karate is more than just kicking and punching. It's about personal development and growing your spiritual strength.

Don't forget, the original head instructor will have invested time and perhaps money in the 'breakaway' instructors.

He will also most likely have spent money on advertising to get YOU as a student.

Stealing students is theft.

Of course it's impossible for me to know the exact setup that you are speaking of.

So do what you think is right.

Any stepmum's out there? http://stepfamily.stepfamilyforum.com