• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NO to low kicks! Yes to high kicks!

I just remembered another time that I have used high "fancy" kicks effectively.

There was one instance I was sparring against a Kyokushin black belt while demoing the class. As soon as I found an open spot I defaulted to my main strategy of cutting loose on it. I hit him about six times in the chest and then took a step back. I saw him cover up his chest and take a step foreward. When he covered up his chest I spun around and caught him on the side of the head with a swing kick. I pulled it because I wasn't sure I was allowed to do that or not, but I did make a light contact on the side of his head with the bottom of my foot. He looked surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why chop the tree at the top, when you can hit the trunk?

In a self defence situation, I would tend to shy away from head kicks.

1) That might JUST be the day that I pull a muscle, and the kick misses, or doesn't hit hard enough. Then not only can I not run away, but I just ticked this guy off

It's always better, in my opinion to hit low, and fast. Inside of thigh, groin, stomach, knee etc.

That aside, I do know of people that were in situations, that used Jodan kicks, and they survived to tell the tale.

You make good points about high kicks, dineshm. The timing and setups for high kicks is tough to do, and you have to be on. Being really fast and flexible really helps a lot.

However, there is something to be said of being able to pull off high kicks against other trained Martial Artists as well.

You make good points about high kicks, dineshm. The timing and setups for high kicks is tough to do, and you have to be on. Being really fast and flexible really helps a lot.

However, there is something to be said of being able to pull off high kicks against other trained Martial Artists as well.

If you ask me, fighting a trained martial artist might be alot easier. You will at least have a vague idea of what to expect.He isn't going to run at you like a charging bull, head first, or do something crazy that only a maniac would do.

put a low kick into the side of someones knee...i guarantee it will drop them

for real!

Yes, in an actual fight you may get off a high kick, but in comparison with a low kick you run certain risks:

-For the vast majority of people, distance is an issue

-Most people's high kicks are not fast enough to avoid being caught or being swept/pushed down

-If you miss a high kick the previous point goes double, whereas missing a low kick is not a big deal.

-If the other guy turns out to be a martial artist, again low kicks have lower risk of counters.

Low kicks, on the other hand, are quite effective without all those risks!

So, while it may be a good idea for you, specifically, in general and for most people, I think that the high kick isn't the best choice. The general statement of "No to Low kicks, Yest to High kicks" kinda seems to not apply generally, and thus is wrong.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

If you ask me, fighting a trained martial artist might be alot easier. You will at least have a vague idea of what to expect.He isn't going to run at you like a charging bull, head first, or do something crazy that only a maniac would do.

This can be true, to an extent. However, even if someone is trained, you can never really tell how they are going to fight. There are some trained people out there who may still charge, and fight very maniaclly. It just depends on their attitude, and the level of trouble that they may perceive themselves to be in.

In the end, making an assumption like that might hurt more than help you.

This can be true, to an extent. However, even if someone is trained, you can never really tell how they are going to fight. There are some trained people out there who may still charge, and fight very maniaclly. It just depends on their attitude, and the level of trouble that they may perceive themselves to be in.

In the end, making an assumption like that might hurt more than help you.

I cannot agree more, for instance, I am sure there are many grapplers that will do just that (charge like a bull). Exept that they will have a trained technique on you, and a maniac might not!

Another thing to consider, is that with a decent martial artist, you will actually find it much harder to perceive what they do. If you do, then it will be much harder to stop. Depending on the ability of the martial artist, it might be game over in the first technique.

This can be said for non trained people, but I am sure you get the idea.

At least we live in the comfort, that most potentially dangerous martial artist are very unlikely to get into a fight with anyone anyway.

Personally, I still don't see why we're arguing which one is better. You may think I was arguing on the side of high-target kicks earlier. I was actually just defending them.

I still think a good, real martial artist would be good at both. Of course, it does require speed, timing and flexibility to be able to pull off a high-target kick. But that just means you practice it more to get all of that. It doesn't mean it's not effective.

As for the low kick, it can be learned really quickly. But just like the high-target kick, it has it's place. There are times you should aim low and times you should aim high. Like the high-target kick, it requires speed and timing. However, it also requires strength where aiming high requires flexibility. Unless Mr. Featherweight can break boulders with his shins and kick at seventy-miles-per-hour, a kick to the thaigh or the side of the knee would be pretty glancing. Maybe not specifically those proportions. I admit I was exaggerating. You knew what I was saying though, right?

So as you can see, they both have their place, strenths, weaknesses, and everything else in the martial arts and I dissagree with the thought that one is simply better than the other because it's easier.