• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing for 1st Degree

Yay! After six months since my last promotion (just the way the regional testing schedule lined up), I'm testing for my 1st Degree Black Belt this month. Well most of the testing will be done this month...

My physical, uniform check, and written test are on the 17th. On the 22nd I have a curriculum test, and have to turn in a 5 page essay. On 5th of October I have to drive to either Orem or Provo to test in front of Master Lawrence. I'll also be testing for Instructor while I'm down there on the 5th.

Wow, that really sucks... 2 weeks worth of wait for the last part of the test... Oh well guess that's how it goes...

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The essay can be on pretty much anything as long as it relates back to Martial Arts/Personal Development in some way. I've written my first draft, I'm calling it: "Forging a Black Belt Spirit" (not sure if that title's going to stay yet)

The uniform check is just a check to make sure you've got a school patch, it's in the right place, your uniform is pressed and clean, and make sure you're wearing the right one...

We've got a few different uniforms to make people feel spiffy about being in different programs on top of the basic curriculum (basic weapons, bladed weapons, and instructor training). Until you reach 3rd degree you have to wear a white uniform to promotions, after that you can wear a black uniform.

I think it's more of an attitude check than anything. If you're not wearing the right uniform... YOU FLAT OUT FAIL!

Thanks for the support guys, and believe me I'll plaster it all over this thread that I passed!

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker

• 3 weeks later...

I PASSED! The regional was last Saturday (Sept. 22nd). There were only two people on the panel. My instructor Mr. Adam Smith (3rd Degree) and Master Lawrence's Right Hand Man Mr. Ken Ruano (5th Degree).

I was so stressed during the whole thing...

We had 10 people testing, 3 of us for 1st Degree, and the rest were testing for Han Ban Bu. The whole test went very well, and very quickly. I think it only took about two hours to run through everything, that was with half an hour of sparring as well.

I messed up on one of my Forms, Long 1. I got lost for a second, but managed to figure out where I was and picked up from there with minimal stopage (anyone else ever have that problem?).

We ran through every form, one right after the other (my last test we skipped a few, probably because there were about 20 people testing). Then moved into Self-Defense. Ran through all the standing techniques, and the ground techniques. Remarkably we didn't have to re-do anything during the test. All my instructors grilling and drilling paid off! Sparring was fun, it wasn't to see who won or lost. It was more to make sure we knew how to spar.

When the test was all said an done Mr. Ruano came over and talked to me. He told me I should be more sure of myself, because I'm good. So I think that took care of any lingering doubt that I'm ready to be a Black Belt. I should've felt ready when my instructor told me I was ready, but you know...

So now comes the fun wait until October 5th, so all those that passed their regionals can go before Master Lawrence and be recognized as a Black Belt or an advancing Black Belt. Basically I'll show up strut my stuff and be awarded my belt and certificate.

Thanks for the support guys!