• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korean arts outside of TKD

oh and i really didn't mean anything mean by it sorry... its just i'm SUPER traditional and into history when it comes to Tae Kwon Do.

I think that Tae Kyon was mentioned as the style used by the Hwa Rang warriors, but whether or not the style of today and what was trained in then is the same cannot be stated for certain. There is so little out there about the ancient Korean styles that it makes it hard to determine what was actually trained, and what has been fabricated to try to seperate TKD from the Karate that most of the older masters (Gen. Choi included) learned.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hwa Rang Do as practiced by Joo Bang Lee is no relation to the historical Hwa Rang, although he did try to claim heritage originally. It is more of an offshoot of Hapkido.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

Yeah, the guy who made Hwa Rang Do was kinda odd in doing that.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

If I remember my reading, he tried to tie Hwa Rang Do to 2000 years of Korean history, including learning from Korean monks at Buddhist temples. Much like what you'd see in a movie.

Turns out he was basically a Hapkido student who left/got kicked out for political reasons.

Yeah, lol I remember him and his pal saying they were taught by this secret monk on a mountain and when they researched the stuff no one could come up with anything they were saying. After that I believe they kinda stopped mentioning that stuff.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

If I remember my reading, he tried to tie Hwa Rang Do to 2000 years of Korean history, including learning from Korean monks at Buddhist temples.

I think that this happened a lot when the Korean masters were trying to "make" a history for TKD and other styles. There just isn't much out there to link it to.

yea, a lot of them tried to do that even though TKD was put together by Gen. Choi's committee so it actually is a pretty modern martial art. Taekkyun on the other hand has had a master that actually preserved it. I want to go train with that guys pupil in Seol Korea soon.

- Bruce Lee

But even among Koreans, an art like Tae Kyon is considered an anachonism. It's something they did 500 years ago with little relevance to today. Nobody wears the Hanbok anymore except for formal special occasions, anymore than we wear knee britches and tri cornered hats.

The nice thing about Tae Kwon Do is that it has kept Korean philosophy and culture, while modernizing and improving the technique. Yes, we have incorporated many of the old Tae Kyon techniques, especially the kicking, but have evolved into a modern martial art.

There is a book about the post-war development of Korean martial arts written by Glenn Jones, a TSD master. It's a very good primer of the Hapkido, yu sool, Kong/Tang Soo Do methods. Interested in getting a copy, I can provide more information.

-John

Taekkyun on the other hand has had a master that actually preserved it. I want to go train with that guys pupil in Seol Korea soon.

Who is this Grandmaster, and how did he preserve it?