• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's on your black belt?

Shotokan-kez

I've got a brand new belt - not even worn it yet (passed my test on 11th October, and sensei lent me an old belt till he gave me my new one at the beginning of this week). It only has a blue label on it with manufacturer's name. I don't think I'll go in for one of those ones with my name on it.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a brand new belt - not even worn it yet (passed my test on 11th October, and sensei lent me an old belt till he gave me my new one at the beginning of this week). It only has a blue label on it with manufacturer's name. I don't think I'll go in for one of those ones with my name on it.

Well done dude.

You yudansha...

Onegaishimasu!!!

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Ours has the style (okinawa kenpo) on the left, name on the right. Both in Japanese. One unusual thing that we have is a small patch on the inside left for students who also achieve their black belts in Kobudo.

Seikichi Odo was as big into kobudo as he was karate, so he amassed experience in many kata and weapons. That ultimately led to a necessary split of karate and kobudo, in case students of other styles of karate wanted to enhance their kobudo experience. Hence the need for two parallel systems and the small patch on the belt.

• 3 months later...

Belt: Tokaido

What's on it: Sweat, Blood, Experience, Memmories, etc.

What's not on it: Some of the Black..., My Blood, etc.

What's it worth: Priceless!

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I simply have my name on one side and my first degree stripe on the other... some of the black belts in our school will get the school's name on their belts as well but our sensei isn't actually a fan of it for some reason...

It's down the road but when I eventually go for 2nd degree, (if I get a new belt at the time) I probably won't have my name put on it as I've become a fan of more plain belts over time.

My favorite belt is a plain silk one with nothing but my organization's label on one end. I also have one that has my name and dojo's name embroidered on it, but I prefer my plain one because of who owned it before me.

It's at that point where it just barely starts turning white on the edges.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Mine is cotton, has the tag for Mikado at one end and the kanji for shodan at the other. IMO, there should be no writting of any sort at all on a belt (I still dislike the writing on mine a tad, but it has grown on me) as traditionally there would be none, it is a western addition to the karate belt system

Mine is cotton, has the tag for Mikado at one end and the kanji for shodan at the other. IMO, there should be no writting of any sort at all on a belt (I still dislike the writing on mine a tad, but it has grown on me) as traditionally there would be none, it is a western addition to the karate belt system
As far as that goes, the ranking system isn't even an original part of Karate...

As far as that goes, the ranking system isn't even an original part of Karate...

I'm so glad that someone finally said that!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!