• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chuck Liddell's spinning back kick

One of my favorite kicks. Simple, low, and I think more effective than what many people throw, the spinning side kick. That said, I wish I could do it as effectively as Chuck Liddell. He doesn't even extend it much. Take a look.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That kick is nice. I've never tried it but it makes sense how he says if the target wasn't there when I threw the kick, it isn't going to be there when he spins around, and how you can't change your kick in mid air.

We do that kick a lot in our TKD classes, pretty much that way. We use a more angled stance, as opposed to the forward stance of the MMA styles, so we don't have to worry about that telegraphic little step he starts the kick with.

As for the jump he uses, we do that some, too. However, I try not to jump that high. Instead, I do more of a feet switching motion, and throw the kick that way. Otherwise, it is very similar. I probably worry more about knowing where the kick is going, as the way we have scoring areas to worry about more. My kick may not be a totally blind kick, but it is very close to his.

Thanks for sharing that, Baron! :karate:

• 2 months later...

I usually do, too. The nice thing about his is that it's great for close in fighting. I have adopted this kick after a roundhouse MT kick. I couldn't decide whether to stop my motion or spin 360. Neither felt right. The last two times I have worked out, I tried going 180 and right into this back kick. It works well for me, though I haven't tried it on an opponent.

Yep, my whole body likes the move much better - even my eyes. This assumes I miss the round kick, of course. :lol:

You have to work it after landing the kick, too. :D This is a good drill to do if you have a partner to hold a kicking shield for you. You hit with the round kick, land forward, and throw the spin back kick as they back up a step. Give it a try. :wink:

I like that idea. I'll try it, Bushido Man.