• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

training @ black belt level

When you are on your path to black belt, you train several times a week, working your way to your goal of black belt. But my question is, when you become a black belt, how often do you train? More? Less? The same? And I know this usually is the preference of the black belt, but I am asking this to those who have reached black belt and are speaking from experience.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an excellent question. The answer is that there is absolutely no difference between the amount of training it takes to earn a black belt and the amount of training it takes to be a black belt. It should be as consistent as possible.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I found the mental trainign one does at black belt is much more. Physically one don't get much better from black belt on up IMHO.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Physically one don't get much better from black belt on up IMHO.

I disagree. When you reach black belt level, or that level which you are considered proficient in the basic fundamentals of your particular system, then that is the time that you are really learning "IMHO". :D I have progressed so much since that time that I can't begin to describe it since getting my BB back in 1978. My reflexes are faster, timing is better, understanding of what I'm doing is phonomenally better, speed and smoothness of my techniques is better...in general, reaching black belt is just the beginning of understanding what your art is all about.

Did you know that as a martial artist, you don't reach your peak until your mid-60's? It's true.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Did you know that as a martial artist, you don't reach your peak until your mid-60's? It's true.

Where did you get this peice of information from?

It seems to be agreed apon that the peak in biological function and physical performance occurs between 20-35 years of age.

There was an article many years ago...1970's somewhere...possibly in BB magazine or in a medical journal about it. The article was about the continuing growth of a serious, continually training martial artist, not a tournament competitor. The difference is the honing and refining of skills was a continuing process and that advancements can still be achieved into the mid-60's. Of course this doesn't pertain to UFC sort of competitions.

Take for example a true master of the arts, any art, when they are in their 50's or above. They normally have the skills to defeat a much younger opponent, also with MA skills. There are countless examples of this. How old was your sensei, and could you, as a much younger person, defeat them?

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Physically when I made my black belt I could do all the kicks and crazy moves. But I did not understand many of them. Im not saying you don't become a better "fighter" after black belt Im just saying physically there is only so much the body can do and by the time you reach black belt there are not many new moves to lear if any. Unlike all the new understanding that comes along with it. I honestly think most your training after black belt is mental. Thats not to say you don't put on the gi and work out but its a differant approach to yoru training.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Depends on your training goals. Some people get so focused on the belt and they achieve it they they think they are "good to go" With training though you either move forward, or stand still and eventually backwards. Consistant training is the key. Basically I agree with Montana it is the beggining not an end.

Martail Arts is a life long Journey. It all depends on what you want to accomplish, or your reasons for training. Setting goals and achieving them. Weather to get your black belt, do comeptions, or just get better at certain techniques, or understanding of techniques and when and how to apply them through resistance training.