• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Abs everyday ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I tend to do ab work everyday .... but only because I am conditioned to do so. If you're just beginning a routine of ab work ... you may need to take a day of rest in between.

Moderation .... again is key, don't overtrain.

There is a plethora of advice here in the H & F forum on ab work .... do a "search" ... and good luck!

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-30 07:35 ]

you should really do a total body workout or you could injure your back muscles by just doing abs. But in awnser to your question you should do it 3 times a week including other strengh exercises but you have to do a good session maybe an hour of strengh work including stretches and flexibility work before and after.

You should only do it every day if you only do a short period mayber 10 minutes a day in the morning, as your body can build up muscle quicker as it has less to do. Its better to do a three day ratio but include strengh, endurance, flexibility and probobly the most important for martial arts Plyometric exercises which build power and speed.

You should give your body a day or so to recover. If you do abs everyday then try to target upper abs one day and lowers the following and obliques the 3rd. That will give each group a day or so to recover.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

I train them twice a week, and will be doing so for the next six months. After that I may start working them three times a week.

It depends how long you have already been working your abs for in the past, what intensity you work your abs at, what sort of nutrition you get, and a whole host of other factors. Every other day sounds good. If it was up to me I would rather try to swap around routines and make my ab exercises more intensive (seem to be using that word a lot lately!) than train them every day. Remember the abdominals are like any other muscle in the body, they take time to heal just like any other!

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Change it up if you do.

ex one day work upper abs

next day to lower abs

next day focus on the sides or love handles

another day do lower back becasue if you dont work it your wasting your time.

then if its a small waist you want RUN. All the ab work in the world wont take off inches. In fact it may make you a bit bigger in the long run.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 years later...

train your abs to failure every day.

wait 24 hours before you train them again.

I would go for 6 days a week if I were you.

Vary the workout as far as machine, crunches, obliques, reverse crunches, leg lifts, etc.

good luck

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."