• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt question

HunterCS

alot of people in the martial community think that belts and grades are comersial and i disagree with it beeing JUST a way to make money when i was a kyu grade i found it helpfull when i first started karate before i got to know poeple to know if they were good enough to be helpfull so i knew the best person to ask for help for instance if belts were not there inste4ad as asking the brown belt grade for help on a kata i may ask the red belt grade and woudnt of got much outta the help.

if you see what i mean

and for one i like the recognition of my hard work and when your a young student and only ages 6 i think it encurreges them to continue training if they see themselves progressing with grades untill they are old enough to train to improve.

haveing small goals inbetween the ultimate goal of martial arts can help you i think

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red is the odd ball that may fall anywhere.

True. Red in some systems is the equilivant of brown (or just before black belt) in other systems. In my own particular system, and I believe the majority of Okinawan/Japanese systems, a solid red belt denotes the head of the system. Only one person can wear it (legally).

Yeah, I believe in most Okinawan systems, a red belt signifies a 10th degree Black Belt.

I study Shorin-Ryu USA and our belt system is :

White Belt

1 Green Tip

2 Green Tips

Yellow Belt

Green Belt

Brown Tips

Orange Belt

Brown Belt

Black Tips

Black Belt

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA