• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you do martial arts?

Why do you do martial arts?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you do martial arts?

• Everyone loves to be fit!
    • I live in a dangerous neighborhood where people are likely to attack me.
    • I live in an annoying neighborhood where people are likely to annoy me.... THEY WILL SOON PAY!
    • I need a hobby to keep me out of the house.
    • "I happen to be a black belt in karate" is a great why to pick up a girl.
    • Its just fun!
    • Other (state in forum)

I don't live in a dangerous neighborhood or anything, but it's nice to know i can defend myself and my family if need be, even in the future when I start my own family. That and it is fun..lol..

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's addictive. Never thought about MA until my sons wanted to try it out. Once they started, I took an interest in it. The rest is history. Great workout, great stress reducer, improved flexibility, and knowing that I could take care of myself or my family if the situation presented itself is very reassuring.

Yeh, I have to add what Dano said- stress reducer and once you get going there is an addictive/inertial component :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I do it because I love learning. If you stop learning, you die inside. The art that you may know is like one star in the sky, there is so much that you can learn and do, that you could study something new about MA everyday of your life and never do the same thing twice. I baffled by the amount of different art and ideas i come across all the time.

The thing I am currently working on is healing. I can teach distruction in a short about of time, but healing take forever. And let me tell ya, the chinese styles are way ahead of the japanese style in this endevour. Health for a lifetime is available through MA.

place clever martial arts phrase here

I didn't have a choice. I have known little else. I continue to do it, because it defines so much of who I am and what I do. It is also probably one of the most important heirlooms I possess to pass on to my sons.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I started to become a better Football player. After my Fr. year I knew I needed more flexability, balance, and enduracne. All of that tied into a general intrest got me in. Once in I got hooked. Oddly enough when I quit playing football in college the first thing I did was find another MA club because it had became my first love at that time in my life.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

It's just fun, does there need to be another reason :)

I remember that I wanted to start Karate when I was 4 but they wouldn't let you if you were under 5, longest year of my life.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

I started to become a better Football player. After my Fr. year I knew I needed more flexability, balance, and enduracne. All of that tied into a general intrest got me in. Once in I got hooked. Oddly enough when I quit playing football in college the first thing I did was find another MA club because it had became my first love at that time in my life.

I began karate more for its own sake, but one of the first things I noticed after doing karate for a year or two was that I was overall a much, much better athlete. I went back to playing soccer after not playing for 2 or 3 years, and my skills were worlds better. Another time, a friend of mine pleaded with me to join him in a pickup basketball game. I hesitated strongly before giving in, saying I was the worst player ever. But I relented. When I got warmed up, I discovered that I was actually halfway decent.

I've tried all kinds of sports and physical activities. You just can't beat martial arts when it comes to actually being able to improve your overall athletic ability.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

I started because my parents put me in it (age 6). I kept with it because I like to compete and train hard. Now it is a way of life, as I work in a field where my skills come into play.

When I first started it was to help defend myself, now I do it for a stress reliever, anger management, be fit and to get my black belt.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."