• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your place use chest plates?

Does it?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Does it?

• Yes
    • No

nope never used one before. im the type thought that when i spar id rather just use gloves and nothing else.

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

-Booker T. Washington

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
come to think of it, im not sure that many karate places do, mabe just tkd, because those things are uncomfortable.

Yeah, mostly TKD places. They are usually required equipment for sparring at tournaments. So most will train with them on in class, in order to be used to them.

nope never used one before. im the type thought that when i spar id rather just use gloves and nothing else.

yeah we do more kicking, so we just have shin/foot guards, gloves, a helmet and a mouthpeice. theyre all made of the squishy, shiny material whose name im not familiar with.

Pain is good. Just not in large quantities.

----------------------------------------------

When I get into a fight, the guy laughs at me, then his friends laugh, then i laugh, so everyone's laughing. minutes after he throws the first punch its just me laughing.

yeah we do more kicking, so we just have shin/foot guards, gloves, a helmet and a mouthpeice. theyre all made of the squishy, shiny material whose name im not familiar with.

if its the same stuff my gear is made from its probably vinyl colored foam

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

-Booker T. Washington

At our school, chest protectors are optional. I do not wear one. Except for the one time I had a rib injury that needed protecting.

Our classes use them when doing tournament-oriented sparring to better understand what they feel like. All fighters must wear them at our tournament, but we use WTF rules anyway.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta tell you guys (& girls) if you're wearing them and they restrict your movement at all then you have one that's not sized for you correctly. My instructor takes measurements off you when he's ordering them for you so you know it's going to fit right. They are required for WTF type sparring, so we have to make sure they fit right. You also should wear them when training (at least some of the time) so they are better broken in and conform to you better. There are several different styles of them too, so just go to a supplier and make sure the one you get is fitted properly for you. Mine doesn't bother me at all, and I know most of the people in my school have no problem with them because we took the time to find the right ones for each of us individually.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

Well for adult males it is optional, mandatory for kids and females

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

i take shotokan karate my dojo doesnt

the best fight is one that doesnt happen