• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was wondering if someone could who studies judo could answer this for me. How long on average does one have to train to get a black belt in judo? I know everybody here on the forums hates questions like these but I was just curious. I know someone who said they got their judo black belt in five years training only once a week for an hour and a half. Is this possible?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Up in Canada if you don't participate in any tournaments it should take up to about 8 years. Shorter if you earn points in tournaments. I'm pretty sure it must be like that elsewhere also. Four years to reach brown belt, and another four to reach black belt. Hope that helps

on average, it takes about 4 years. If you look at the usji guidelines it outlines minimum time in rank and requirements, if I remember correctly.

you get "points" for doing things - training, entering shiai, winning, beating people with a higher rank than you, etc. Once you have enough points for a specific rank, you can test. Theoretically, yes, what your friend said is possible.

The thing about judo is that there are different types of gyms - competitive and recreational. In a cometitive gym, this will not happen. in a more recreational one though, it's probably pretty common.

wow! That's fast. He/She must be an incredible athelete or just have found a rare judo school that is also a mcdojo.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

It really depends on the dojo. It took a little under 2 years for me to get to 5th kyu. We were also able to speed up the time by defeating people in tournaments, but we usually only had two a year. :cry:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

wow! That's fast. He/She must be an incredible athelete or just have found a rare judo school that is also a mcdojo.

nah, that's really not that fast. if you look at the posted times in grade, it's avtually about average. I will go to the ji site and see if I can find any of the time in grade stuff.

I think I'm going to join his school. He said there are a couple of tournaments his school goes to so maybe that's why he got his black belt in that time. Anyway, I am interested in training in judo so I will try his school our for a while.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resptwx6/tests.htm

notice that according to the requirements, you can test for 1st degree black in about 43 months, which is a little less than four years.

Also notice the time increase after that. 1st degree black for one year, 2nd degree for three years, etc.

black belt is just the beginning.