• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ummm bruises...

O__O

i can take a hit too..

but i don't brag about bruises >.>;

bragging right huh? ok well...*goes up to imaginary frined* "i got tese little things from punching a tree!"

Xd sorry..no offence..it's really late...i'm random..and need an outlet other then words because my dad's asleep >.>

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You folks scare me :o

Why thank you! :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

When I have a visible bruise and someone asks how it happened, I usually tell them, while I was training. Bruises happen. I don't mind, lets me know I was trying hard. However, when I have done something dumb like fall down the front steps and I have a visible bruise, I dont really want to share that one. I do, but I wish that dumb bruise had been hidden so noone could see. :lol: Darn it all!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

When I have a visible bruise and someone asks how it happened, I usually tell them, while I was training. Bruises happen. I don't mind, lets me know I was trying hard. However, when I have done something dumb like fall down the front steps and I have a visible bruise, I dont really want to share that one. I do, but I wish that dumb bruise had been hidden so noone could see. :lol: Darn it all!
My best bruises/cuts are always from something stupid. :lol: I had a real wicked looking bruise on my knee but it was from tripping up the steps. For whatever reason I usually don't get too bruised during karate, just doing something stupid. :-?

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

I have to agree with the others, it's generally about bragging rights. Who's got the biggest one?

I rarely get bruises now but my students still get quite a few so on one side they all jar each other because they know they haven't been blocking correctly, but at the same time they praise each other because it's almost like a right of passage as you go through the grades. After all, it's martial arts we train in, we learning to defend ourselves, not playing tiddly winks aren't we?

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Lol. It really does seem strange that we're so proud of our bruises (and the ones we give...), but I can't remember it being any other way. I remember near the beginning of my training, yeah, I didn't like them, and thought the others were kind of crazy....I have no idea when that opinion changed, but now, the bruises are like tattoos of training. We're proud of the training we receive and the hits we can take, and besides, it's funny to see the looks your average Joe gives you. Like smiling, it makes people wonder what exactly you're up to.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

A good thread, that no-one seems to have an answer to lol :lol: I too am proud of bruises, i don't know why. Sometimes i think it's because i know i have had a good fighting and fitness session. The only time i don't like my bruises is when i go training a day or so later and they hurt like mad when they get knocked again. :(

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Lol. It really does seem strange that we're so proud of our bruises (and the ones we give...), but I can't remember it being any other way. I remember near the beginning of my training, yeah, I didn't like them, and thought the others were kind of crazy....I have no idea when that opinion changed, but now, the bruises are like tattoos of training. We're proud of the training we receive and the hits we can take, and besides, it's funny to see the looks your average Joe gives you. Like smiling, it makes people wonder what exactly you're up to.

Summed up very well. I think it has to do with the fact that we do something that not everyone else is willing to subject themselves to, and only we can really understand what these bruises mean to us.

In a way, they are also like feedback from training! :D

I just say my girlfriend beats me up :D Just kidding... Usually people don't notice my bruises and such as generally choose outfits that hide them if I can help it. I get tired of people asking me what happened. You'd think by now they'd realize I'm in Karate and put two and two together.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

It is like a bragging right, kind of. It shows that you do something different than anyone else, and these are the results of your unique training. I especially like to show off the ones I get when weapons fighting. :brow:

lol yeah, its like a Boy Scout badge collection, where you can say

"yeah, i got this bruise for....."

they're like mini trophies telling you you did good.

Pain is good. Just not in large quantities.

----------------------------------------------

When I get into a fight, the guy laughs at me, then his friends laugh, then i laugh, so everyone's laughing. minutes after he throws the first punch its just me laughing.