• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much do you pay?

Kante

My school is $75 a month and $50 for each extra family member.

Testing fees are as follows :

Ro-Kyu - $10

Go-Kyu - $20

Yellow Belt - $25

Yon-Kyu - $30

San-Kyu - $35

Orange Belt - $40

Ni-Kyu - $45

Ik-Kyu - $50

Sho-Dan - $100

There are 9 classes per week.

Belt tests/promotions are every 6 months.

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA

• 4 years later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we train 2 days a week, for about 2 hours per class and i only pay 10$ a month. Our head sensei says we pay enough in gi's/patches/weapons that the instruction shouldnt be an arm and a leg.

Dammate keiko, translation: "shut up and train"

To join the club it is $110

Each class you attend will set you back $10

Gradings are $40

The belt usually $10

You can buy pre-paid pack where for example, you would pay $360 and get unlimited training for 6 months (Disapointing thing is tournament training doesn't accept prepaid, so you need to pay more on top of that to train for tournaments)

You get discounts if more then one member of your family trains with you

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Gawd. I hope that the guy who owns the yacht you're paying for at least takes you fishing on it once in awhile!!!

I pay...zero.

Two classes/week karate and kobudo. Basically private lessons now as all the kids have gone off to college. If I want to add two more classes a week, I can train with the head of our group (think he is a 7th dan), in his private dojo for 5$ a session.

Two hour classes, training with BB's only.

You're getting ripped off.

Leaves fall.

60 euro per month for a weekly three 1h sessions + one 1.5h supervised free training day.

+8 euros extra to use the gym. Free use of sauna.

Before exams we do extra classes for no extra charge and usual exam cost is 40 to 70 euros depending on Kyu grade.

If u fail your exam on either 1 of the 3 tests (Kihon, Kata or Kumite) u get a Kari and u pay extra 20 Euros in your next exam.

I live in Hertfordshire and clubs charge 5 to 6 pounds per adult and around 4 or 5 for children. Most of them do NOT offer a pay monthly for a set fee type deal. I think this is pretty poor if you want dedicated students especially children who are the future of our sport.

My 7 year old is pretty dedicated and trains 4 days a week ( was 5) so with both myself and my son 4 days a week that would be at least £ 160 a month , though TBH most clubs here only seem to offer training in your area 2 or 3 days a week maybe 4 if your lucky. If you work you really need to have options so you can pick days also.

Our current club offers all in for 80 pounds for two people in a family and any further family members free. The club is quite new but growing slowly but surely.

Regards Mas

Wado Ryu convert & oldie

Gawd. I hope that the guy who owns the yacht you're paying for at least takes you fishing on it once in awhile!!!

I pay...zero.

Two classes/week karate and kobudo. Basically private lessons now as all the kids have gone off to college. If I want to add two more classes a week, I can train with the head of our group (think he is a 7th dan), in his private dojo for 5$ a session.

Two hour classes, training with BB's only.

You're getting ripped off.

I'm not certain that he's being taken advantage of. However, the idea of testing fees and paying for belts and such is, to me, a bit odd. That said, Terror indicated that he could get six months for training for less than 400 dollars. That's not bad. Realistically, in most suburban areas, 100 per month isn't out of line. Even if you add in more money for tournament training, it can't come out to much more than that.

Start up fees are very common in clubs where a third party does the billing, largely due to the fact that the third party company charges something to activate the collection account. If one's not being used, it's a bit of the rub the wrong way, but not out of line if a uniform of such is handed out.

So, while I'd wonder about some of the nickle and dime stuff (and even this isn't bad if your not testing every few months), the overall cost doesn't strike me as outrageous. Bear in mind, cost is just one factor in why one picks a school.