• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to teaching

As for the ones who want to go to the bathroom, or get drinks; just don't let them! Make them stay and work. They will get the picture.

You cannot forbid little children from going to the toilet. Firstly it's just not right (they have smaller bladders than us) and secondly it will be you that has to clear up the mess when you find the one's that REALLY did need to go to the toilet. Instead you have to find ways to discourage toilet breaks, and also ask beforehand if everyone has gone to the toilet.

The thing is, if you constantly allow them to go to the bathroom all of the time, then you will never have a focused class because you will have kids going to the bathroom all of the time. One will go and come back, and then another goes. I have seen this from the outside looking in, and the inside looking out. Kids try us; that is a fact. You mention finding ways to discourage toilet breaks: denying them is a good way to discourage them.

It should be established before the kids sign up that toilet breaks should be done prior to coming to class. I honestly don't think that kindey infections are going to be that big of a deal, coming from an hour long class and not using the bathroom. As TangSooDoGuru mentioned, you can really tell with the ones who are serious. In that case, you let them go. But when it continues to happen, something has to be done.

BINGO!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the ones who want to go to the bathroom, or get drinks; just don't let them! Make them stay and work. They will get the picture.

You cannot forbid little children from going to the toilet. Firstly it's just not right (they have smaller bladders than us) and secondly it will be you that has to clear up the mess when you find the one's that REALLY did need to go to the toilet. Instead you have to find ways to discourage toilet breaks, and also ask beforehand if everyone has gone to the toilet.

The thing is, if you constantly allow them to go to the bathroom all of the time, then you will never have a focused class because you will have kids going to the bathroom all of the time. One will go and come back, and then another goes. I have seen this from the outside looking in, and the inside looking out. Kids try us; that is a fact. You mention finding ways to discourage toilet breaks: denying them is a good way to discourage them.

It should be established before the kids sign up that toilet breaks should be done prior to coming to class. I honestly don't think that kindey infections are going to be that big of a deal, coming from an hour long class and not using the bathroom. As TangSooDoGuru mentioned, you can really tell with the ones who are serious. In that case, you let them go. But when it continues to happen, something has to be done.

I disagree. We run a junior class and the other instructor and I have found a way to manage toilet breaks. The juniors rarely use the toilet any more, and when they do ask to go we know that they really need it. It may take a bit more thought and work than just denying them but I believe that ultimately it is the right thing to do.

I personally would discourage anypone from sending their child to a school where toilet breaks are flatly forbidden. Furthermore if I had a child that had soiled themselves because the instructor had not allowed them the basic right of going to the toilet I would hit the roof.

just my opinion.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I disagree. We run a junior class and the other instructor and I have found a way to manage toilet breaks. The juniors rarely use the toilet any more, and when they do ask to go we know that they really need it. It may take a bit more thought and work than just denying them but I believe that ultimately it is the right thing to do.

I personally would discourage anypone from sending their child to a school where toilet breaks are flatly forbidden. Furthermore if I had a child that had soiled themselves because the instructor had not allowed them the basic right of going to the toilet I would hit the roof.

just my opinion.

Essentially, we are coming to the same conclusion, but just taking different routes. Denying bathroom breaks for an hour is not going to be a very big deal for most children. Most of them can make it an hour without having to go to the bathroom. Heck, most parents will drive for more than hour at a time, without stopping for bathroom breaks. In the end, we both end up at the same point.

I do agree with Brian here, they do go one after the other for the whole hour, it's very annoying and disruptive to the class. We are not talking about completely banning the toilet, just recognising the one's who are serious and genuinely needs to go. As Brian says it's just an hour and if they went before hand then there shouldn't really be a problem. :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I do agree with Brian here, they do go one after the other for the whole hour, it's very annoying and disruptive to the class. We are not talking about completely banning the toilet, just recognising the one's who are serious and genuinely needs to go. As Brian says it's just an hour and if they went before hand then there shouldn't really be a problem. :)
But little children are bound by the timetable of their parents. We have several that turn up just as the lesson is about to start and so do not get the time to go before they start. You can ask the parent to try and get there a little earlier, or make sure that the child goes before they leave their house, but if the parent does not listen then will you punish the child?

I still think you are approaching it from the point of view of an adult, with an adult's bladder control.

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

But little children are bound by the timetable of their parents. We have several that turn up just as the lesson is about to start and so do not get the time to go before they start. You can ask the parent to try and get there a little earlier, or make sure that the child goes before they leave their house, but if the parent does not listen then will you punish the child?

I still think you are approaching it from the point of view of an adult, with an adult's bladder control.

If they are going to be late, then tell them to go before they come in. However, it should be made known that when they start their first class, that they need to take care of bathroom breaks before class starts.

If you give an inch, kids will take a ruler. They know it, too. You have to stay on them.

If they are going to be late, then tell them to go before they come in. However, it should be made known that when they start their first class, that they need to take care of bathroom breaks before class starts.

If you give an inch, kids will take a ruler. They know it, too. You have to stay on them.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. My experience differs, so either a ) I am awesome at teaching children 8) or b) we have the best behaved children in the world in my junior classes. :brow:

Wow. All about potty breaks. In general, I let kids go. If there's five, ten minutes left of class, I say no, but otherwise, sure, as long as they're quick. Most of the kids we have seem to be too worried about missing something the class or group is doing to want to miss for something like a potty break. Same goes for drinks. We have group drink breaks, and have all of them drink before class. Seems to work pretty well.

Shotokan-kez, as for teaching...heh...it's a whole system of learning in and of itself. Confidence is key is what everyone here told me, and they are right. Don't be afraid to give push-ups. People just plain don't like pushing. If they do, make them do sit-ups or leg-lifts. They can't possibly like all of those. Umm....don't take the stuff people give you. You can't let them walk over you in the beginning, or they will always try to do so. Other than that....All I really have to say is goodluck. I've been working on teaching for 2 years, about, and I still have incredible trouble sometimes. It's much better though.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Many good replies here!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...